Official Skeptiko sub-forums were dropped overnight 9/9/2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Skeptiko sub-forums were dropped overnight 9/9/2017

Many regular members of the official Skeptiko-forum have today posted messages of dismay, after waking up to find 1000's of forum messages had been deleted overnight. "...this is sad, can it be undone?!..", "...Really sad development..", "...I can't believe it. All those posts...", "...To be frank, I find this action outrageous...", "...symbolic of how Skeptiko went from a place of serious scholarship to a rag peddling silly conspiracy theory nonsense..., "Well that's a terrible thing to do. boo....", "...isn't it rash to just delete all those threads that so many people contributed to..."

There has been no official comment by the Skeptio-forum owner Alex Tsakiris about the sudden and unexpected decision to remove so many posts from the forum stretching back years. However, the only remaining Skeptiko-forum moderator David Bailey, seemed to suggest that he had been aware that Alex had been thinking of doing this "...this is really Alex's brainchild, and although I knew he was thinking about it, I certainly didn't realise it would happen so abruptly, or that it would destroy so much information..."

My own ability to post to the official Skeptiko forums under the user name 'Max_b' was revoked by Tsakiris last month, along with a number of other regular posters, after members questioned the moderating teams recent decisions to ban posters and delete threads. Laird the second member of the two person moderating team also unexpectedly announced his own resignation a few days later, suggesting there were irreconcilable differences between himself and Tsakiris, and that they had parted ways "...due to a difference of opinion on moderation principles and policy...".

Laird had only recently developed a new wiki indexing and cataloging system for the official Skeptiko-forum, to help organize the huge number of threads by subject matter http://creativeandcritical.net/skept...page=Main_Page but much of this work now seems redundant, as many of the forum threads to which the index pointed have been deleted.

The overnight decision by Tsakiris to delete so many forum threads came without any warning, preventing members from copying any of their own forum posts that they might wish to save, leading to angry comments from some forum members "...It's despicable behaviour from Alex, nasty selfish behaviour. No good will come of it...", "...Perhaps it is time to move away from a site where one person can decide without consultation to wipe out the records years of conversations and debates..."
    Last edited by Max_B; August 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM.
Working...
X