X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psi experiments

I have another part to my website called Psi experiments at http://psi.mind-energy.net.

I've run 3 experiments to date and the third one is still active. Of course, the 2 first were very badly designed and the third can be tampered with. Topher Copper and SkepticalBry from here helped me to analyze and better design the experiments.

I've not done new experiment for some time, also because I couldn't come up with a good design for a web-based psi experiment. Take a look at the site and the past experiments and let's try to design a better psi experiment.

I'd be glad to receive your opinions and help.
    Jacob.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    I have another part to my website called Psi experiments at http://psi.mind-energy.net.
    Take a look at the site and the past experiments and let's try to design a better psi experiment.

I'd be glad to receive your opinions and help.
    Jacob.

Have you looked at this site for ideas on design:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/rpkp/experiments/

I tried the bell curve experiment yesterday and had an nice run of beginners luck (which is a known phenomena with pk testing) with practice trials but after a couple of for the record trials I got interrupted and when I came back I just got random results. How annoying, but also typical. I tried doing what I do when doing spiritual healing since that is as close to PK as I know how to do. I can't say if it worked or not based on the experience though but I think the hypothesis - that spiritual healing should be something like PK makes some sense.

Comment

Rhine Research

There's a call for participants here, for a study entitled: MIND OVER MATTER STUDY: UNEXPLAINED PHYSICAL EVENTS RELATED TO CRISIS AND DEATH.

Here's the link:
      The Rhine Research Center - Research -> Current Research

Comment

The RPKP Project

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
        Have you looked at this site for ideas on design:

RetroPsychoKinesis Experiments Online
        Great experiment. As I responded to Jacob when I first heard of his experiments, I've seen several poorly executed projects doing on-line testing of paranormal ability, and just one that does it well. The RetroPsychoKinesis Project is that one.

The whole thing is automated, from running the tests to tabulating and reporting the results. They've documented their random number generators and made the code available, so the exact experimental methods are verifiable and and repeatable. They now have an ocean of data, and its all freely downloadable for anyone to analyze.

-Bryan

Comment

Jacob, I've got an idea for a 4th experiment, a small modification that I feel is generally overlooked in parapsychology .... I will let you know later to see if you are interested, after the results of the 3rd experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Open Mind View Post
            Jacob, I've got an idea for a 4th experiment, a small modification that I feel is generally overlooked in parapsychology .... I will let you know later to see if you are interested, after the results of the 3rd experiment.
            Hi, Open Mind.

I'd like to hear your suggestion.
            I'm not sure I'm gonna publish the results for the third.
            I last looked at the results about a year ago, when there was a massive amount of people participating and there was nothing special about the results.
            Moreover, it is possible for someone with technical knowledge of computers and the Internet to fool the results after some time, so it can't be totally clean results anyway.

But I though of taking the look at the database to see what the results are since it's up for more than a year now.

I will be glad to even open a new thread here to discuss how to build a good on-line experiment to detect "psi"

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              I'm not sure I'm gonna publish the results for the third.
              I last looked at the results about a year ago, when there was a massive amount of people participating and there was nothing special about the results.

I wonder if you could clarify what you mean by "nothing special about the results"?

I may be jumping to conclusions, so please correct me if I am. Here's my concern.
              It sounds like this may be an example of the "file drawer effect". This is what happens when negative (or otherwise unfavorable) results are obtained, and the researcher declines to publish the results.
              I gather that the purpose of the experiment is to ask something like, "can people determine the color of a playing card at a rate higher than chance?". I'm concerned that "nothing special about the results" is another way of saying the answer is "no, people cannot determine the color of a playing card at a rate higher than chance." If that's the case, then the results should be made available the same as if the results had been significantly positive. If, on the other hand, some serious flaw in the method has been discovered, or the participation rate has been so low that the number of trials cannot produce meaningful results, then that is a different matter.

Thanks,
              I am a Hedge

Comment

With the Bell Curve thing, how are you imagining you're able to control the random number generator? Do you know how you'd affect it? Do you know how to make a program like this (assuming it's anything more than an animation)? Because assuming for the moment that you actually have any kind of powers which could interface with a compiled bit of code, what makes you think you'd know what to do to affect it?

Does your subconscious know Java?

Comment

Hedge has an interesting point. Internet-based experiments of any kind lend themselves to quick and cheap file drawer effects. There are few experimenters involved, no paper trail, no funding, anonymous subjects, and so forth. It's easy to dump an uninteresting experiment into the bit bucket.

If we are to take an Internet experiment seriously, we need to be convinced that we are seeing the entire thing. And even then I can't help but question the expertise of the statisticians.

~~ Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X