Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How The Mayans are Preparing for 12/21/12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How The Mayans are Preparing for 12/21/12

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...12-20-15-15-48

    Note the false headine from the AP:

    Mexico Mayan region launches apocalypse countdown
    ...

    Mexico's tourism agency expects to draw 52 million visitors by next year only to the regions of Chiapas, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Tabasco and Campeche. All of Mexico usually lures about 22 million foreigners in a year.

    It's selling the date, the Winter Solstice in the coming year, as a time of renewal. Many archeologists argue that the 2012 reference on a 1,300-year-old stone tablet only marks the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar.

    "The world will not end. It is an era," said Yeanet Zaldo, a tourism spokeswoman for the Caribbean state of Quintana Roo, home to Cancun. "For us, it is a message of hope."

  • #2
    Mexico Mayan region launches apocalypse countdown
    ...

    Mexico's tourism agency expects to draw 52 million visitors by next year only to the regions of Chiapas, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Tabasco and Campeche. All of Mexico usually lures about 22 million foreigners in a year.

    It's selling the date, the Winter Solstice in the coming year, as a time of renewal. Many archeologists argue that the 2012 reference on a 1,300-year-old stone tablet only marks the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar.

    "The world will not end. It is an era," said Yeanet Zaldo, a tourism spokeswoman for the Caribbean state of Quintana Roo, home to Cancun. "For us, it is a message of hope."
    Lots of contreversy around this date. Skeptics have been arguing that 2012 is a made up date or that Mayan calendar just happens to stop on that date simply because Mayans decided to stop it there but there is no hidden meaning behind it.

    Now let me digress a little. Apocalypse means new revelation. It's not the end of the world but more the end of the world as we know it, the beginning of a new era and so maybe a huge paradigm shift.
    If anything happens in 2012 I am thinking that a paradigm shift is the most likely event to happen.
    Last edited by Roms; December 22nd, 2011, 01:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Roms View Post
      Lots of contreversy around this date. Skeptics have been arguing that 2012 is a made up date or that Mayan calendar just happens to stop on that date simply because Mayans decided to stop it there but there is no hidden meaning behind it.

      Now let me digress a little. Apocalypse means new revelation. It's not the end of the world but more the end of the world as we know it, the beginning of a new era and so maybe a huge paradigm shift.
      If anything happens in 2012 I am thinking that a paradigm shift is the most likely event to happen.
      Hi Roms, we should not take the claims of a pre-Scientific society seriously.
      The Mayans and all the other ancient civilizations knew almost nothing about the cosmos. They probably didn't even know the earth revolves around the sun. And they certainly didn't know that our solar system is merely a speck in the visible universe, which contains 500 million galaxy groups, 10 billion large galaxies, 100 billion dwarf galaxies, and 2000 billion billion suns. Not to mention the possibility of the multiverse.
      We must constantly laugh at those that make doomsday predictions based on ancient superstition.
      Science and Reason must prevail.

      Comment


      • #4


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sniffy the Atheist View Post
          Hi Roms, we should not take the claims of a pre-Scientific society seriously.
          The Mayans and all the other ancient civilizations knew almost nothing about the cosmos. They probably didn't even know the earth revolves around the sun. And they certainly didn't know that our solar system is merely a speck in the visible universe, which contains 500 million galaxy groups, 10 billion large galaxies, 100 billion dwarf galaxies, and 2000 billion billion suns. Not to mention the possibility of the multiverse.
          We must constantly laugh at those that make doomsday predictions based on ancient superstition.
          Science and Reason must prevail.
          The only Proof, is that there is NO Proof. (This is a paradox.)

          Science has built its Doctrine on an imaginary concept. ("proof and evidence")

          Since these these things are artificial constructions, then the Scientific Communty is in no position to impose its fallacy upon others.

          The Maya, and many others intuitively sensed something greater than themselves, so basically the joke in on the atheist.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Limburglar View Post
            The only Proof, is that there is NO Proof. (This is a paradox.)

            Science has built its Doctrine on an imaginary concept. ("proof and evidence")

            Since these these things are artificial constructions, then the Scientific Communty is in no position to impose its fallacy upon others.

            The Maya, and many others intuitively sensed something greater than themselves, so basically the joke in on the atheist.
            Hi Limburglar you should have a look at this: NASA Crushes 2012 Mayan Apocalypse Claims: Scientific American

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't think the Maya were predicting an apocalypse at all.

              From what I understand, the Maya were calculating the end of an Age...and the advent of a New Age.

              If NASA misunderstands the Maya, then that's their own deficiency.

              Comment

              Working...
              X