Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
2 of 2 < >

Skeptiko Haven Rules

Welcome to Skeptiko Haven.

The simple rules here:
  1. We don’t discuss general materialist explanations for ‘psi’ and related phenomena. Anyone wanting to suggest materialism as the explanation for paranormal or spiritual phenomena is directed to the Skeptiko Forum.
  2. In particular, anyone suggesting or implying that it is ridiculous, inherently stupid, etc., to talk about non-materialist experiences and paradigms, especially in what the moderator considers to be a rude, abrupt or threatening fashion, will be instantly suspended. First suspension: 3 weeks; second: 3 months; third: indefinite. (Unfortunately, experience of the older forum makes this rule seem advisable.)
  3. It is ok to mention materialist explanations for specific cases. Example: “I think this medium might be a cold reader” is fine, but “I think all psi is fake” is not. (Detailed materialist ‘debunking’ is still better placed in the Skeptiko Forum.)

Both forums will continue side-by-side, and everyone is encouraged to move between them as desired.

Finally, an additional guideline:
This forum is a place where the proponent side of debates discussion is respected, and where more listening and (frankly) politeness is possible than on the other forum. Of course, it’s not easy to ban sarcasm! But it is suggested that contributors listen to one another calmly, and speak to each other with respect.
See more
See less

Extraordinary extended ADC: The Afterlife of Billy Fingers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraordinary extended ADC: The Afterlife of Billy Fingers

I wanted to call out attention to this book that I've just finished reading. I ordered it after watching the author, Annie Kagan's interview on afterlifetv. The title (and cover picture!) can make you think it's silly, but after listening to the interview I just had to read it and was not disappointed.

One Spirit's Testimony Of Life After Death - Afterlife TV with Bob Olson

This book came out this year and I don't know of anything like it out there. I've read Bill Guggenheim's book on After-Death Communications (he gives this book his very high appreciation on the backcover, while Raymond Moody does the intro), but this is the account of a nearly-2-year-long continuous series of after-death communications (clear as bell, coming through as an external, not internal voice - as experienced by Annie) from the author's older, just deceased "bad-boy" drug addict brother (he's 62, she's in her forties). Annie is grief-stricken, bewildered, confused as to what is happening, skeptical (she wonders if it's her unconscious playing tricks on her, etc.) - but Billy keeps giving her evidential data to prove his reality, in part involving other people and situations in her ongoing life.

The evidential nature of the account, the clarity and the extended nature of the communications are not the only amazing features of the experience and the book. The other is that Billy is describing the different spheres of the afterlife as he progresses on his journey.

In the interview with Bob Olson, Annie says she was surprised on her Facebook account on how many people have been coming up to her and recounting similar experiences.

You can judge the evidence for yourself and decide whether it's plausible or believable, but if true this is an account of life after death that is being communicated by a 100% deceased person (not an NDE), and it's not being channelled through any medium.

Spiritually, I found it also very inspiring and encouraging.

----

I don't want to give away spoilers, but on a side-note, as I was reading it I was finding it was validating a lot of the NDE accounts of life after death (including the "wow"/more psychedelic stuff, like traveling/floating through the universe, a hologram "life review" or rather access to those life memories), and less so the classic early/Spiritualist mediumship accounts (which I've been reading a lot about recently) - i.e. the consistent reports of spirits awakening to the afterlife a little confused, in a reality very much like our own, not that "extraordinary", still "solid" (e.g. Raymond, Oliver Lodge's son), just a little more ethereal*.

[*Of course, I'm generalizing here, and I think we should be wary of generalizing about mediumship accounts of the afterlife, just like we should be so regarding NDEs. For example, as regards the classic mediumship accounts, not everything points to what I just described. Through the medium Gladys Osborne Leonard, the deceased spirit of Sir William Barrett said: "There are two lives here: one I can tell you about and you can understand, and one I cannot tell you about till you come over... Life is far more wonderful than I can ever tell you, beyond anything I ever hoped for; it exceeds all my expectations." (Michael Tymn, The Articulate Dead, p. 147.) Or the ex-mayor of Boston, Augustus Martin, coming through Leonora Piper: "I felt as though I was going into space, did not know where, drifting as it were, for a few hours... (A)fter a little while, perhaps an hour, possibly an hour or two, I saw, oh, such a light! You cannot imagine it, cannot conceive what it is like." (Tymn, Resurrecting Leonora Piper, p. 131).]

But as this question was staying through my mind, about half way through the book, Billy starts explaining to Annie that not everybody's journey is like his, or right away, and describes what he calls a "Supra World" that he bypassed that is very much the slightly more prosaic earth-like afterlife realm that one could associate with those mediumship accounts and what is encountered in many NDEs as well.

A must-read, IMO.
    Last edited by Ninshub; September 22nd, 2013, 08:49 PM.

In the way of a little clue as to where the book heads , I was thinking something like this would have made a more accurate cover:
    Attached Files

Comment

I hate to say it, but I found the interview with the author extremely annoying. I had a hard time getting through the first minute, but hung in there for about 15 minutes out of curiosity. By then she still hadn't talked about the "evidence" her brother gave her, so I gave up on it and turned it off. My reaction has nothing to do with her veracity, but I thought she sounded cloying and fake from start to finish. This is probably why I don't hang out on New Agey forums.

AP

Comment

I didn't get that impression at all, and definitely not reading the book, which is what sticks in my mind the most. I also don't think Bob Olson set out to ask questions to investigate the evidential parts. He's past that himself.

Also, I don't you know if you're referring to afterlifetv.com as a "new agey" forum. I don't think that would be an accurate description of it, though it isn't geared the same way Skeptiko is. It is about people's direct experience of the paranormal (NDEs, ADCs, mediumship, etc.), and not theoretical hogwash.

Comment

Bob Olsen? Seriously? Isn't the sharpest tool in he box is he? Means well I'm sure, but thick as.

Comment

T4msync

I find that patronising. It say's more about you.

Comment

Originally posted by t4msync View Post
              Bob Olsen? Seriously? Isn't the sharpest tool in he box is he? Means well I'm sure, but thick as.
              You might want to go back and read the forum rules, in my opinion this here applies to your comment:

This forum is a place where the proponent side of debates discussion is respected, and where more listening and (frankly) politeness is possible than on the other forum. Of course, it’s not easy to ban sarcasm! But it is suggested that contributors listen to one another calmly, and speak to each other with respect.
              Michael

Comment

Afterlife discussion

After a very strange few years of spiritual experiences (i.e. experiences of stuff that is not physical) I finally discovered that our physical world is infused with the spiritual dimensions. We are surrounded by all sorts of energies including those who have survived death and are stuck because of unfinished business left behind.

It's been traumatic but now I know how to help them move into the Light (Heaven if you like) my life has improved dramatically! I thought this might be the place to discover if anybody else has had a similar experience.

Comment

I get it!

I enjoyed the interview, thank you for bringing it to our attention. As a therapist myself, and a meditator, I could relate directly to how she became more and more sensitive to other dimensions of existence.

My journey has been slightly different to hers but the basic message is the same. Life isn't restricted to the physical so one should plan for what happens after our flesh and blood body wears out!

Comment

Originally posted by yochris1 View Post
                    I enjoyed the interview, thank you for bringing it to our attention. As a therapist myself, and a meditator, I could relate directly to how she became more and more sensitive to other dimensions of existence.

My journey has been slightly different to hers but the basic message is the same. Life isn't restricted to the physical so one should plan for what happens after our flesh and blood body wears out!
                    You're welcome, yochris. In the book, the author mentions she had been an experienced meditator, up to four hours a day some times, though she had stopped at her brother's death because of the grief. I wonder if that made her more receptive.

Although Billy explains to her eventually that what they're experiencing together, including putting this book together (which he pushes her to do), is something they were "supposed" to do, he learns.

Oh, and welcome to the forum(s).

Comment

Working...
                    X