Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
2 of 2 < >

Skeptiko Haven Rules

Welcome to Skeptiko Haven.

The simple rules here:
  1. We don’t discuss general materialist explanations for ‘psi’ and related phenomena. Anyone wanting to suggest materialism as the explanation for paranormal or spiritual phenomena is directed to the Skeptiko Forum.
  2. In particular, anyone suggesting or implying that it is ridiculous, inherently stupid, etc., to talk about non-materialist experiences and paradigms, especially in what the moderator considers to be a rude, abrupt or threatening fashion, will be instantly suspended. First suspension: 3 weeks; second: 3 months; third: indefinite. (Unfortunately, experience of the older forum makes this rule seem advisable.)
  3. It is ok to mention materialist explanations for specific cases. Example: “I think this medium might be a cold reader” is fine, but “I think all psi is fake” is not. (Detailed materialist ‘debunking’ is still better placed in the Skeptiko Forum.)

Both forums will continue side-by-side, and everyone is encouraged to move between them as desired.

Finally, an additional guideline:
This forum is a place where the proponent side of debates discussion is respected, and where more listening and (frankly) politeness is possible than on the other forum. Of course, it’s not easy to ban sarcasm! But it is suggested that contributors listen to one another calmly, and speak to each other with respect.
See more
See less

Reaching out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching out

Hello everybody.

I am back to the forum after a couple of years in which I have been quite busy with other things, and with a "name change" since there is apparently no way of getting my old user name to work in the forum.

Very briefly, I am a medical doctor and university professor who not only openly proclaims a rational, evidence-based belief in the survival of consciousness to bodily death, but makes this the mainstake of an innovative and somewhat radical approach to grief counselling.

I would like to hear this community's views - and, if possible, get some advice - on how to reach beyond the circles of those "already in the know".

Let me explain. I have released a resource specifically targeted to the bereaved and the dying, but so far this resource has been used almost exclusively by people who already have an interest in and some knowledge about the survival hypothesis. The real intended audience - people who are suffering because they are facing death or because they have lost a loved one - seems to remain out of reach.

Part of the explanation is that many people may not be prepared/available for a nonreligious approach to the subject of life after life. But I don't think this is the primary reason. I think there is a fundamental problem of communication, channels, ina word - outreach.

I would be really grateful for your thoughts.

Piero

Have you tried All churches for your outreach? There are radical Catholic churches, reform Jewish, Unitarian, as examples.

Comment

Do you know about IANDS?

Comment

Thanks. I have been a member of IANDS for many yeras. As for churches, I stress my nonreligious approach to the survival hypothesis.

Comment

Originally posted by drP View Post
          Thanks. I have been a member of IANDS for many yeras. As for churches, I stress my nonreligious approach to the survival hypothesis.

Comment

Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments, but... The resource I am talking about is an eight-hour adult education video course on evidence for life after life. That is precisely my counselling approach. Medical research tells us that when bereaved and dying people learn and reflect on these subjects, their suffering is greatly diminished. My problem is how to let that group know that this resource exists, first, and, second, to overcome their resistance to an idea which is fundamental for their wellbeing, but which they are perhaps not ready to accept.

And, Neil, thanks again, I will check out the churches, but I still don't think I will find much of my intended audience there.

Comment

Originally posted by drP View Post
              Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments, but... The resource I am talking about is an eight-hour adult education video course on evidence for life after life. That is precisely my counselling approach. Medical research tells us that when bereaved and dying people learn and reflect on these subjects, their suffering is greatly diminished. My problem is how to let that group know that this resource exists, first, and, second, to overcome their resistance to an idea which is fundamental for their wellbeing, but which they are perhaps not ready to accept.

And, Neil, thanks again, I will check out the churches, but I still don't think I will find much of my intended audience there.

Unitarians might be a good avenue since they tend towards less specific interpretations of God such as universal consciousness. They should be more open to non religious approaches than almost anybody else.

Comment

Perhaps you could get into contact with some hospices? If they accept it could be an additional resource they may give to some families that might accept it.

Comment

Hospice!

Comment

From your website Doc....

Take your course It only takes five minutes and three easy steps to access the online version of the course Transforming the Grief, Healing the Pain. Start feeling better now - See more at: Dr. Parisetti | drParisetti

But when I click on the link I get an error message. Sounds interesting though

Comment

Gosh, I am sorry for the wrong link... I don't understand what went wrong. I just copied and pasted the url.

the correct link is drparisetti.com/counselling/bereaved obviously preceded by http:// (no need of www.).

Thanks for your interest

Comment

I firstly want to say quite simply WOW. Your work is absolutely wonderful, and so necessary.

My hunch is that in terms of doing outreach work in a sensitive manner, and avoiding the obvious and perhaps not so obvious dangers of approaching the bereaved at their time of loss will be slow, and will require nothing more than courage, conviction and the sincere motivation to act purely from a desire to positively affect the bereaved.

I instictively get a sense of the awkwardness of such an undertaking, and the desire to tread lightly. I am sure you have thought about finding a way to put business cards in relevant locations at hospices etc, but I imagine there may be a tremendous amount of resistence and fear from the coordinators and the managers of these establishments considering the prevailing physicalist paradigm of the scientific community at large.

I would suggest that perhaps it will require tremendous effort, time and tenacity on your part to find a way to do outreach work, and I sincerely wish that I had any resources whatsoever that would be of use to you in this absolutely essential endeavour. But I am sorry to say I don't, other than my full philosophical and emotional support.

The course you have put together looks truly remarkable, and I may even take it myself. It took me the fortunate stumbling across Alex's wonderful skeptiko podcasts, and this forum a little while back to really begin to re-evaluate and investigate the case for survival of consciousness.

Despite studying Philosophy, Psychology and having a deep interest in the worlds religions, I would have to say that any real confidence in the case for survival of consciousness beyond bodily death still greatly eluded me. I think our educational and scientific establishments really do a sterling job of educating such notions as survival of the soul completely out of us. So I feel truly blessed to have run across these resources, and through the Skeptiko podcasts, to have a whole world of scientific enquiry which is supportive of the survival hypothesis laid out before me and made available for investigation and exploration.

The net result has been i finally feel at home in the universe, and feel able to move forward with a sense of purpose and confidence that I was previously always striving for, but never really able to actualise in my being.

You have my fullest admiration. I see limitless value in what you are trying to do and I wish you all the very best of luck and providence with this. I believe the universe will respond in some unexpected, confusing and yet entirely appropriate and accomodating ways to your work. Just be courageous.

Soul
                        Last edited by soulatman; October 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Soul,

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me, as I am really hitting a bit of a slumber in emotional terms.

Yes, I know, a doctor, academic and counsellor should not be so open about personal matters and feelings. But you know what - I don't care. That's me at age 53, and there's no point in pretending to be stiffer and more detached than I really am.

Fact is that I had an idea - that what I know about survival can be of benefit to the bereaved and the dying. I checked with professionals in the death and dying counselling area, and with others whose judgment I trust, and everybody told me my idea of a course was excellent.

So I worked like a dog for two years - I reckon about 2,000 hours - with a capacity of focus and self-motivation that surprised even me... I ended up with a professional resource which, in the last couple of months, has received raving reviews from the professionals, and is said to be very effective by the precious few who have actually used it.

But it is now clear to me that the project is not going anywhere. The couple of dozens who have signed up for the course are mostly people who already knew or had an interest in "afterlife affairs". The hundreds of thousands who are suffering and who may benefit from this remain dramatically out of reach.

My own, almost one-to-one promotional work - and thank you for your suggestions - is important, but it's nowhere near the kind of coverage I need. This, as we all know, is a controversial subject, and the only way to get some significant numbers is casting the net really wide.

But that's impossible. To give you an idea, one click on a Google Adwords for "help for grief" costs me exactly one Dollar, on average. A typical "conversion rate" is below 1 percent (100 people click and less than one signs up for the course). This only adds to the financial wreckage, and therefore was quickly discarded.

There are tons of community websites for the bereaved, but I don't want to either march in and promote my resource or - even worse - post as a bereaved myself.

I have considered hiring a professional PR to get exposure with the traditional media. You don't want to hear about the rejection (mostly) or the exhorbitant requests...

So, here I am, quite stuck, frankly.

My first and main motivation remains solid and very clear - to be of help - but I am losing faith that I will be able to cut at least part of the quite significant financial losses I have incurred with this project.

There you go - that's it for honesty. Thanks again and will be in touch.

Comment

Wow, how incredibly frustrating.

Your emotional grinding to halt is completely understandable. Here you have a resource with which to completely transform the suffering of so many, but are completely prevented from doing so because of the fact that our world is influenced by profit making and synicism to an alarming degree.

How shocking that google ads costs that much. So effectively, considering you have set the course fee at a very reasonable £30, on average, the number of people signing up as a result of google ads would mean that each person would cost you £61.88 (current conversion rates), putting you out of pocket by £30 odd quid. In fact, I am certain there are many more hidden costs that would make it even more costly for yourself.

Now, it is obvious you are not doing this for the money, but such a venture would quickly see you homeless. Have you considered vastly increasing the cost? Being a poor man myself, I can instinctively see why you would not wish to do that. You would only be able to benefit the wealthier individuals, you would attract criticisms of being profit driven, and preying on peoples misfortune etc. however, that hasn't stopped a tremendous number of otherwise noble ventures from doing this. And it may be, that if success comes along this way, you will be able to offer consessions or freebies to many others(which I don't doubt you would wish to do).

I pray that some ridiculously wealthy individual benefits from your work, and decides to fund some way of getting this out there to the masses.

I wonder if you have thought about applying for charitable status, and looking in to what that might mean for this endeavour? I imagine you've already done that, having worked for the Red Cross.

Also, although I personally am not a big fan of the new age movement, have you thought about finding ways to publicise your work through these guys? I mention this, as a new age publisher comes to mind, called "Hayhouse" publishing. I just had an idea that perhaps they might be interested in having some kind of link to your work either in printed form in their books, or even on their website.

I guess I am clutching at straws here, but it pains me to think that such a valuable resource may never really see the light of day.

Because it is an internet course, I imagine you are not restricted to doing purely local outreach work, right? I imagine many businesses and popular websites out there who at first glance may not look relevant, might, if they only knew about what you were doing, love to get involved in some way. I think it will take being creative and slightly off the wall, perhaps not only looking down the avenues where you might expect to find the publicity you seek, but really getting creative, and looking at things you might have overlooked or dismissed.

I imagine one concern that crosses your mind would be who you attach yourself to for publicity, so that it doesn't negatively colour public perception about the professionalism or motivation of your work, but could this be a limiting factor you might have to make concessions over, until it is up and running?

I don't do facebook, but have you looked into that as a resource?

I am sorry Piero, I dearly wish I could help. All I can think to do is throw out the random thoughts that cross my mind in the unlikely event you haven't already considered them yourself.

Don't give up. I am so certain that somehow the universe will find a way (sounds ridiculously new agey I know, but with this, I believe they are on to something).

All my best wishes and prayers for your success,

Soul
                            Last edited by soulatman; October 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

drP

I too am feeling your frustration, and I think you have produced something really worth a lot to people - I thank you for that.

If it is meant to be, someone somewhere will think up something to make it work. I often wish I were wealthy, I could do something for people like you ?

Comment

Working...
                              X