Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Deceased relatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased relatives

Can someone please explain to me how it is NDErs almost ONLY see deceased relatives, including relatives they didn't know were dead.

There really is no way to account for this, as if it were a dying brains production then we would expect an equal distribution of live relatives as well, but this is not the case. This in itself is very convincing evidence that something non-local is going on.

PS before skeptics mention that living relatives are (only) OCCASIONALLY seen, and this mostly by children, it should be noted that this has been dealt with before ad nauseum.

The simple answer is that NDErs are meeting dead relatives. Since living relatives are not dead, you can't really encounter them when you (yourself) die.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus Kirkpatrick View Post
      The simple answer is that NDErs are meeting dead relatives. Since living relatives are not dead, you can't really encounter them when you (yourself) die.
      Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The only thing that makes sense is that the experience is real.

Comment

I agree. Just curious what sort of dismissive comments the skeptics would come up with :P

Comment

Originally posted by robbiehouston View Post
          I agree. Just curious what sort of dismissive comments the skeptics would come up with :P
          I can't wait. Oh, scratch that, yes I can.

Comment

Robbie just because we can't explain something doesn't mean that there isn't a normal explanation waiting to be discovered. Honestly you shouldn't be so impressed with Near Death Experiences. Have you not noticed that no Neuroscientist favors the non-local Afterlife hypothesis for NDE's.

Pim Von Lommel and Jeff Long are not Neuroscientists or Neurologists.
            I encourage you to obtain a copy of Kevin Nelson's devastating book the God Impulse. I am leaning towards his explanation of NDE's.

Why is it nobody here mentions Kevin Nelson as one of the major NDE researchers? He spent 30 years of his life studying this phenomena and has come up with a purely naturalistic materialistic theory.

Mystical Experiences, Near Death Experiences, Out of body experiences, and everything else is a product of different neurological processes acting in the brain. Its just the primal reflexes in our brain intensified, nothing more.

Comment

It's been brought up before. I've brought this point up to skeptics online since 2002.

Response is just wishy-washy stuff.

"Yeah, well, a couple of times some people saw living relatives. Uhh. We dream up all kinds of stuff. What does it matter anyway?"

Comment

Originally posted by robbiehouston
                Can someone please explain to me how it is NDErs almost ONLY see deceased relatives, including relatives they didn't know were dead.

There really is no way to account for this, as if it were a dying brains production then we would expect an equal distribution of live relatives as well, but this is not the case. This in itself is very convincing evidence that something non-local is going on.
                Perhaps a clue is in the word "dying": Could it be that the mind wanders to the dead when we are dying, as we wonder what will happen to us and whether we will see dead relatives or friends?

Also, how do we know whether NDErs reports are biased?

~~ Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
                  Perhaps a clue is in the word "dying": Could it be that the mind wanders to the dead when we are dying, as we wonder what will happen to us and whether we will see dead relatives or friends?
                  NDErs also see people they never have seen before on earth, there does seem to be very few accounts of meeting someone still alive on earth during NDE, accounts of seeing strangers seem higher ....and this is in total contrast to dreaming where those we know, still alive on earth feature regularly.
                  Last edited by Open Mind; February 7th, 2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniffy the Atheist View Post

Why is it nobody here mentions Kevin Nelson as one of the major NDE researchers? He spent 30 years of his life studying this phenomena and has come up with a purely naturalistic materialistic theory.
                    When you are looking for a way any way to escape your very short mortality they don't want to throw a wrench into what they perceive to be a well oiled machine that they call NDE's. The research done by Kevin is that wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by robbiehouston View Post
                      Well, I would personally say that in my opinion it's because NDEs are real. I'm open to the possibility that I may be wrong and there may be a materialistic explanation, but I personally don't lean that way at this moment in time. I think it's more likely than not that people are temporarily transported into a realm of the afterlife and are genuinely meeting deceased friends/relatives.

Comment

Paul that's not a good excuse at all, as NDEs often happen during events which occur too rapidly for their to be time to psychologically process that one's life is at stake, and they've also been reported when the individual was not in a life threatening situation. So that excuses is a cop out

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post
                          When you are looking for a way any way to escape your very short mortality they don't want to throw a wrench into what they perceive to be a well oiled machine that they call NDE's. The research done by Kevin is that wrench.
                          Kevin Nelson's explanations for NDE's, OBE's, mystical experiences etc. are only convincing to those who have already bought into the assumption that consciousness is produced by the brain. If you are not predisposed to/interested in defending a materialist worldview you are unlikely to agree that NDE's are somehow connected to REM sleep, or that the human brain evolved the ability to have OBE's so that individuals would sacrifice themselves to a predator for the survival of the rest of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by Manro View Post
                            Kevin Nelson's explanations for NDE's, OBE's, mystical experiences etc. are only convincing to those who have already bought into the assumption that consciousness is produced by the brain. If you are not predisposed to/interested in defending a materialist worldview you are unlikely to agree that NDE's are somehow connected to REM sleep, or that the human brain evolved the ability to have OBE's so that individuals would sacrifice themselves to a predator for the survival of the rest of the group.
                            I agree with this comment ... and yes Nelson suggestion I've highlighted in bold print, is one of the most ridiculous explanations I've heard a materialist come up with so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Open Mind View Post
                              I agree with this comment ... and yes Nelson suggestion I've highlighted in bold print, is one of the most ridiculous explanations I've heard a materialist come up with so far!
                              Yeah, I hadn't heard of that before I'd also like to know how that information gets passed along if the individual 'sacrificee' gets eaten before he/she has a chance to 'share' the experience with their genetic cohort.

Comment

Working...
                              X