Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Can Near Death Experiences Contribute to the Debate on Consciousness?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Interesting Ian View Post
    I wasn't aware of this . . .

I've mentioned on a few occasions before that if those who have an NDE, but are not near death, but who nevertheless encounter the border and given the option to cross it, then this would provide a great deal of difficulty for the transcendental interpretation of NDEs.

But this suggests they do not and hence gives good evidence for the transcendental interpretation of NDEs!
    Hmm... Didn't notice that when I read it. Thanks for pointing it out Ian.

Comment

Nobody else interested in this article??

Comment

Nobody else interested in this article??
        Well, it's not exactly anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by GabeDupuis View Post
          Well, it's not exactly anything new.
          I personally wasn't aware that the only NDE features absent from the noncrisis experiences were the border and the life review, but perhaps everybody else was!

Comment

I personally wasn't aware that the only NDE features absent from the noncrisis experiences were the border and the life review, but perhaps everybody else was!
            Oh, shoot! I forgot that, duh. Sorry, I'm a bit out of sorts today.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Sniffy. Nothing new here, but a very good summary of the key points in question. Is this a recent article?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSurvivalIndex View Post
                Thanks for posting this, Sniffy. Nothing new here, but a very good summary of the key points in question. Is this a recent article?
                It mentions it's almost 40 years since the publication of Moody's life after life published in 1973, so must be (although I think it was actually published in 1975!).

Comment

Sorry to ask what's probably a stupid question but - what's the border bit of NDE's? Do you mean like the part that prevents them 'going any further' or whatnot?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                    Sorry to ask what's probably a stupid question but - what's the border bit of NDE's? Do you mean like the part that prevents them 'going any further' or whatnot?
                    Yes, or the message that you haft to go back regardless of what you want, or in some cases gets the choice, and they choose to go back..

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie View Post
                      I've heard if you go beyond the border then there's no option to go back. So it's the point of no return. But if you're not near death you surely shouldn't encounter such a border? And that research mentioned suggests that you don't.

Comment

I've heard if you go beyond the border then there's no option to go back. So it's the point of no return. But if you're not near death you surely shouldn't encounter such a border?
                        Also, there have been no reported cases of people going to the border, deciding to enter, enter in, and then they wake up from their nde are chillin for a bit in pardise.

Comment

Working...
                        X