Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Skeptic, James Randi Breaks-Off Negotiations on DogsThatKnow Experiment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeptic, James Randi Breaks-Off Negotiations on DogsThatKnow Experiment

Skeptic, James Randi Breaks-Off Negotiations on DogsThatKnow Experiment | Skeptiko Blog

This will hit Google News tomorrow.

Originally posted by alextsakiris View Post
    Translation: Alex breaks off negotiation on JREF million dollar challenge.

You can spin this with press releases as much as you want it won't change the fact that you can't seem to manage to fill out an application form for the challenge. If you don't want the million dollars then give it to a charity.

Comment

I'm really amaze how Alex can distord the truth in order to promote his own agenda.

You kiss your mother with a mouth like that Alex?

Stop telling lies. And fill out the dam application!

Comment

Originally posted by alextsakiris View Post
        On your youtube video you write

As Randi has already stated, real research by independant researchers is a superior way to go. I've offered Randi an opportunity to participate and have selected a very Skeptical researcher to do the study... we'll see if James Randi is for real.
        You should reread the transcript. This is not what Randi states. Real research by independent researchers is part of the MDC. Randi gives the example of the BBC Horizon homeopathy MDC application. These people filled out the form and they had the tests conducted by real scientists at a real university. They failed to win the MDC.

There is nothing at all to stop Alex from filling out the application form and getting Clive Wynne to do the actual testing. These are not mutually exclusive.

I do wonder whether Clive Wynne still wants to be associated with Alex after the youtube videos, press releases and classic misrepresentation of Randi's views. You would think that the alarm bells would be ringing by now. You can't expect to act like a typical crackpot and expect serious scientists to collaborate with you.

Comment

I agree that this seems dishonest. I seriously discourage you from putting up something like this as a press release, it will cause you a lot of trouble, perhaps even a lawsuit. Because as far as I can tell, Randi never "agreed to to forgo the million dollar prize he offers in order to secure his involvement and resolve this question scientifically", as you claim in the blog entry. It simply does not appear to be true.

You better think twice before you release something like this.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted the sentence "We even agreed to forgo the million dollar prize he offers in order to secure his involvement and resolve this question scientifically, but he refused." I thought you were talking about you and Randi, but I suspect you're talking about your team of investigators. Is that right?

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to say that James Randi "broke off" negotiations, because as far as I can tell, there were no negotiations in the first place. Randi wanted you to apply for the challenge, and that's it, no?
          Last edited by Larry Boy; May 13th, 2008, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X