Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

"Through the Wormhole" attempts to sweep the NDE / OBE under the carpet.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Through the Wormhole" attempts to sweep the NDE / OBE under the carpet.

And results in an extraordinarily boring episode: Through the Wormhole S3E10 Did We Invent God? HQ - YouTube. Not sure where to view the rest of it online, so you may need to TiVo it.

Sometimes I like this show, but this episode really misses the mark when it attempts to use the age-old lobe stimulation explanation to explain OBEs, which the show attempts to lump into the same category as NDEs. With one broad stroke of the brush both topics are explained away as feelings of disassociation that occur when the part of the brain that maintain spatial coherency of the self are stimulated.

I'm not really surprised that OBE-like sensations occur when the brain doesn't know its own coordinates on life's 3 dimensional axis.

But it doesn't do anything to explain NDEs. Literally every piece of relevant data concerning the NDE was omitted from this broadcast. Any piece of data that makes anybody with any interest in the topic go "hmm" was not mentioned. Instead, in passing, the researcher on this segment suggests that the "mystical experiences that sometimes occur are just fragments of the brain" without feeling the need to go into any further detail on the topic. That's right, the entire context of the NDE that accompanies the OBE is just some random figment of the brain that is not even relevant enough to require further discussion.

The show also fails to incorporate the NDE as a possible explanation for mankind's spiritual inclination--the very theme of the show. One of the most relevant topics that relates to the current discussion of science and spirituality is reduced to barest fundamentals of "OBE like sensations" that "some people experience".

This episode was such an epic failure. It was like watching a giant broom sweep a whole genre under a carpet. Sadly I assume the majority of viewers would not be able to relate to any of this, or realize there is a distinction between "OBE like sensations with mystical feelings" and the actual NDE and its many very distinctive elements.

And so the tires continue to spin endlessly in the mud.

I agree. I just this minute finished watching it. I kept waiting for another perspective to be offered, but it never came.

This particular episode was a disappointment.

Comment

The most frustrating part is that I've seen documentaries on other science channels that present both sides of the argument, and allow viewers to make up their minds.

I saw something on TLC a few years ago that listed "life after death" as the number one mystery of science, and gave a factual analysis of the components of the NDE that are not yet explainable.

This makes me feel that the carpet-sweeping by this show is a conscious effort. It's an attempt to take the meat of the existing debate and gut it down to something that does not even resemble its original form. That way, unknowing viewers will perhaps not waste their time bothering with such topics in the future, especially when the authoritative voice of Morgan Freeman tells us there's nothing to see.

Comment

Wormhole

It is funny how people can watch the same show and get different views from it.

I thought the show was good and the points made fantastic it did address the question and I do believe that nothing was swepped under the carpet.

It started by asking the question if it is in our nature to allow for a external reality AKA contribution by Bruce Hood it then mentioned that many experience such reality daily. I did not get the idea that they suggested Olaf Blanke explains all of it they only suggested that the idea of mind without body is worth considering.

Ultimately it is worth contemplating that virtually all spiritual traditions claims that reality is inside and outside of us if we consider anything else we are suggesting a alternative materialism.
        Last edited by Nicov; August 28th, 2012, 02:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I haven't seen the episode in question, but I have noticed that the series has been taking up more of an atheist/materialist agenda in recent episodes. One episode that just came out centered on a credulously positive portrayal of the notion that time is infinite and the universe has always existed-- an incoherent concept, but one which would enable them to avoid some very uncomfortable difficulties-- as explained by militant atheist Sean Carroll.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
            I haven't seen the episode in question, but I have noticed that the series has been taking up more of an atheist/materialist agenda in recent episodes. One episode that just came out centered on a credulously positive portrayal of the notion that time is infinite and the universe has always existed-- an incoherent concept, but one which would enable them to avoid some very uncomfortable difficulties-- as explained by militant atheist Sean Carroll.
            I'm not sure if the notion that the Universe has always existed is incoherent, although perhaps some argument might convince me.

From a logical perspective I see no reason why the Universe could not be both infinite in time and space. It would be bloody weird though.

Comment

Originally posted by Interesting Ian View Post
              I'm not sure if the notion that the Universe has always existed is incoherent, although perhaps some argument might convince me.

From a logical perspective I see no reason why the Universe could not be both infinite in time and space. It would be bloody weird though.
              Well, if time is infinite, it would imply that there have been an infinite number of events in the past, and that for any event in the past, an infinite number of events precede it. This is impossible for the same reason that it would be impossible to count to infinity; no matter how high you counted, you would simply never get there. Saying that an infinite chain of causes precede the present is comparable to saying that you have counted through the entire infinite set of negative numbers and arrived at zero; with no starting point and no limit, you could never conceivably get there. Infinity exists as an idea and a mathematical concept, but it is logically impossible for it to physically exist.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
                Well, if time is infinite, it would imply that there have been an infinite number of events in the past, and that for any event in the past, an infinite number of events precede it. This is impossible for the same reason that it would be impossible to count to infinity; no matter how high you counted, you would simply never get there. Saying that an infinite chain of causes precede the present is comparable to saying that you have counted through the entire infinite set of negative numbers and arrived at zero; with no starting point and no limit, you could never conceivably get there. Infinity exists as an idea and a mathematical concept, but it is logically impossible for it to physically exist.
                Yes . . it's a difficult one thinking about infinity. I just don't have the relevant mathematical knowledge so I'm having to think it out myself. You might be right . .or you might be wrong . . I can't decide.

Agreed we can't count to infinity. So how do we get to 2012 if it existed infinitely in the past . . . hmmm. But still not sure.

Do you think the Universe could be spatially infinite?

Comment

Working...
                X