Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

208. Dr. Julia Assante On Technology Training Us to Talk With Spirits (Podcast)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 208. Dr. Julia Assante On Technology Training Us to Talk With Spirits (Podcast)

Interview with author, scholar, and psychic medium Dr. Julia Assante challenges our fear of death.
    Join Skeptiko host Alex Tsakiris for an interview with Dr. Julia Assante author of, The Last Frontier: Exploring the Afterlife and Transforming Our Fe[...]

Click here to read more ...

Thanks Alex
    What a great question, who to listen to?

Assante is a person I would tend to be more sceptical of than some others that have appeared on your show. Credibility increases for me when a person is able to incorporate other people's experiences into their Worldview. I heard a lot of dismissal in her arguments as opposed to a framework that included some of the material you have come across.

At one stage Assante says "I could never believe that" concerning evil spirits. Irrespective of my own believes on the subject such a comment indicates an attachment to beliefs that is in the long run incompatible with a truth seeker.

Another quality of someone with high credibility is someone who is able to talk from personal experience, which she does, yet also refer to a broad range of thinkers who support a specific belief, which she does not.

I found her dismissal of drugs simplistic (even though for my own development I share her view) and her wholehearted endorsement of mediums uncritical and un-nuanced.
    Angus

Comment

Interesting interview.

Some of the ideas (like shared incarnations) made me feel uncomfortable and intrigued all at the same time!

Also, I liked her views on "negative entities" encountered in NDEs, as thought forms, etc. Rudolph Steiner talked at some length about that, as well.

I think we're finding out slowly but surely that the "laws" of that other realm are very different and our mind is a crucial factor in how it manifests to us.

Comment

have you got any specific lectures that you are thinking of when you talk about Steiner?

Comment

I liked this interview very much, I will probably re-listen to it in the next days. I wasn't familiar with Dr. Assante's work.

Originally posted by EthanT
          Also, I liked her views on "negative entities" encountered in NDEs, as thought forms, etc. Rudolph Steiner talked at some length about that, as well.
          Absolutely. There's a great little book about thought forms written by Leadbeater and Besant, published in 1901. Can be found here: The Project Gutenberg eBook of Thought-forms, by Annie Besant.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post

Absolutely. There's a great little book about thought forms written by Leadbeater and Besant, published in 1901. Can be found here: The Project Gutenberg eBook of Thought-forms, by Annie Besant.

Cheers
            Thanks Bucky. Sounds interesting, wil have to check that out!

Comment

Thanks for this, Alex! I'm not familiar with Julia Assante at all, and now I'm really intrigued to learn more about her.

Julia Assante said:
              Iím having a 100% success rate getting people to do their own mediumship with those departed they love.
              I have to say that I'm skeptical about claims of 100% in any such endeavor, but I'm keeping an open mind, and will probably read her book at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by aha69 View Post
                Thanks Alex
                What a great question, who to listen to?

Assante is a person I would tend to be more sceptical of than some others that have appeared on your show. Credibility increases for me when a person is able to incorporate other people's experiences into their Worldview. I heard a lot of dismissal in her arguments as opposed to a framework that included some of the material you have come across.

At one stage Assante says "I could never believe that" concerning evil spirits. Irrespective of my own believes on the subject such a comment indicates an attachment to beliefs that is in the long run incompatible with a truth seeker.

Another quality of someone with high credibility is someone who is able to talk from personal experience, which she does, yet also refer to a broad range of thinkers who support a specific belief, which she does not.

I found her dismissal of drugs simplistic (even though for my own development I share her view) and her wholehearted endorsement of mediums uncritical and un-nuanced.
                Angus
                I kinda agree... like when Julia says "near-death isn't death"... ok, but medium communication isn't the same as personal communication. So, yea, I think we have to tread very lightly with what we "know".

On the other hand, she has some amazing insights that I'll be thinking about for a long time... and her book is quite excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanT View Post
                  Interesting interview.

Some of the ideas (like shared incarnations) made me feel uncomfortable and intrigued all at the same time!
                  me too.

I think we're finding out slowly but surely that the "laws" of that other realm are very different and our mind is a crucial factor in how it manifests to us.
                  agreed... this seems to be a consistent theme. it's a bit of a shift for me, but feels like the right direction.

Comment

I must say that Julia Assante's take on the meaning of life - that it is not just some sort of test - feels right to me. I can't quite say why, and maybe it is just wishful thinking, but her POV seems right. I noticed her assertion that distinct incarnations can overlap in time. That seems to make sense when we remember that NDE's often seem to report a very different sensation of time 'out there'.

It was a very interesting interview!

David

Comment

Alex

I have since watched a couple of clips with her on youtube. I think she came across a lot better in those interviews so it was nice to get another perspective.....but then again she wasn't asked the challenging questions you are good at asking

Comment

I agree, the 100% message might be good for book sales, but certainly left me wondering about her own ability to be self-critical about her insights and experiences

Comment

I found her viewpoint really refreshing. A lot of what she said about incarnations jive with the Seth material. I ordered her book and am looking forward to reading it. I also really like the idea of cultural constructions of the afterlife. It seems like in the interview she was really having to skim over some topics pretty fast. I'm hoping there is more detail in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by aha69 View Post
                            Alex

I have since watched a couple of clips with her on youtube. I think she came across a lot better in those interviews so it was nice to get another perspective.....but then again she wasn't asked the challenging questions you are good at asking
                            I think Dr. Assante is terrific, and making a wonderful contribution with her work... so we're just picking and poking at the edges. also, I think it sometimes takes a bit of edginess to advance new ideas.

Comment

Working...
                            X