Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Full Philosophical Implications of Precognition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankmat View Post
    I think you can come to a conclusion where you are 100% sure.. if you have enough evidence to discredit materialism as an explanation.

An example being the day I "telepathically" sent a message to a friend I was very connected with... who also happened to also be my first Psychic teacher. I sent her a very clear message during a meditation I was doing at home about her need to contact me... and that she had to check her computer because there was a very important message from me.

Now without a word of a lie within 10 minutes she contacted me to say that she was in her car leaving her driveway when she very clearly heard in her head that she had to get on her computer to check a very important message... got on and saw I had sent her a message so decided to call me.

Now this was a person I had spoken to on the phone maybe 4 times in total ever... and rarely would speak via facebook. She had no idea that I was trying to do any sort of telepathy experiment with her... and we had never even talked about it.

In fact I was so amazed (more like stunned) when she actually called me to tell me almost word for word what I had telepathically sent to her... that I could barely speak.

Now Materialism cannot possibly explain PSI in that case. Sure it is a personal experience that is only confirmed by 2 people... and sure I didn't mix soda water and vinegar to get my results.. I am not even sure I could do it on demand... but that doesn't make it any less relevant or real.

I amnot one to think every coincidence is a PSI experience but this was well and truly beyond anything that is possible. To me it was the equivalent of having an apport drop in my hand from nowhere... undeniable evidence. This is why I am personally 100% certain in my mind materialism cannot explain PSI.
    I get what you are saying.... a personal experience will erase all doubt... I am just catious because before arriving at my current beliefs I was expectionally dogmatic about religion, then sliding into pure athiesm..... now this... I know what its like to be locked into a belief system were your eyes are just closed shut and you can't see anything... that why I probably can't commit 100% to any paranormal topic without personal experience... My opinion on the paranormal is that its real but it is a bit elusive in nature so you can never really sink your teeth 100% into it, but their defiantly something to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankmat View Post
      Now Materialism cannot possibly explain PSI in that case. Sure it is a personal experience that is only confirmed by 2 people... and sure I didn't mix soda water and vinegar to get my results.. I am not even sure I could do it on demand... but that doesn't make it any less relevant or real.

I amnot one to think every coincidence is a PSI experience but this was well and truly beyond anything that is possible. To me it was the equivalent of having an apport drop in my hand from nowhere... undeniable evidence. This is why I am personally 100% certain in my mind materialism cannot explain PSI.
      But this only indicates that it can not be explained by conventional means, not that it can not be explained under any physical theory. You have not made ​​any argument under which telepathy can not be explained physically.

My opinion on whether psi can be explained by any physical theory are exposed in this thread:

http://forum.mind-energy.net/skeptik...abilities.html

Comment

Originally posted by Interesting Ian View Post

If both the past and future exists (as current physics implies), then why would precognition be any more surprising than remembering the past? Perhaps our memories are a type of perception of the past and precognition is a type of perception of the future?

Anyway I don't see why precognition is any more intrinsically surprising than personal memories. So if our memories are compatible with materialism then so is precognition.

As far as I can tell there are at least two views on time. One is that Time is an illusion and the universe is timeless. Barbour takes this view.
        The other is Lee Smolin's Temporal realism where time is real, the past is fixed and inaccessible, and the future does not exist.
        Another model is what I call the Hourglass model and as far as I understand it possible futures slide through the narrow neck of now and fall into the past. We have likited free will so we can choose which events near the bottleneck pass through.

None of these models satisfy me.

Having decided to try an learn about time by writing a book on it I investigated Timeslips and precognition. There seems to be no theory for time slips and theories of precognition abound. The ones I looked at closest insist the Present cannot affect the past but the futurse cannot affect the present which seems to me to give the present moment a special status and I see no justification for this.

Comment

If precognition can be demonstrated in a double-blind, automated, psi lab setup, (which I believe it can,) then I'd say materialism has a big problem, no?

Probably the large number of theories trying to explain precognition is that it's very common. The inverse is the case with time-slips, which are, I think, rarely reported.

Would you count any of the 'alien abduction' reports, investigated by John Mack, as Timeslips?

You are probably aware of the startling similarities between 'alien abduction' reports, and the experiences of 'entity encounters during many higher dose DMT experiences as discussed by Dr Rick Strassman in his book 'DMT the Spirit Molecule'.

If these 'abduction reports' are included in the Timeslip subset, there are several million of them on record. I don't think they are the same thing, though, even though the abductees do seem to lose chunks of normal time while they are 'away'.

Strassman's conclusion is that his DMT subjects and the 'abductees' experiences are so alike, because there is a common mechanism involved.

He postulates that the 'alien abduction' phenomenon happens when, in certain people, the internal homeostatic control for endogenous DMT allows too much to reach the brain, and this allows the mind to be 'retuned' to another reality.

The same thing happens when the DMT is exogenous, ie ingested one way or another, whether in Ayahuasca, or as in Strassman's 1990s research in New Mexico, via intra-muscular injection.
          Last edited by Ian Holfield; September 19th, 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X