Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Why are people still posting here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people still posting here?

I am curious why people are still posting here, rather than moving to the new forum. The new forum seems perfectly good - better in some ways, and presumably this forum will get cut off or become read-only before long.

Some of the active threads - such as the one on reincarnation - parallel threads in the new forum!

David

Originally posted by David Bailey View Post
    ...and presumably this forum will get cut off or become read-only before long.
    I think that's up to Jacob. I'm going to support this original form whilst it remains functional. There are many years of discussions on here, and they remain a valuable resource. Highly relevant for search engines, and driving new people here. Daft to let it die in my view.

Comment

There are some things I will say in here which I wouldn't put on a forum any member of the public can read.

Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
        There are some things I will say in here which I wouldn't put on a forum any member of the public can read.

Jules
        Pretty sure that even non-registered people can read all the posts in here. Being a member gives you an ad-free site and bonuses such as being able to post, etc. But anyone can read this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Max_B View Post
          I think that's up to Jacob. I'm going to support this original form whilst it remains functional. There are many years of discussions on here, and they remain a valuable resource. Highly relevant for search engines, and driving new people here. Daft to let it die in my view.
          If Jacob can somehow transfer the threads to the new forum, that will be great, but as it is, I think this forum will die anyway shortly. Maybe Jacob can comment.

Arouet is correct - this forum is as accessible for reading as the new one. We don't want our discussions to be hidden from others, for goodness sake!

David

Comment

Originally posted by David Bailey View Post
            If Jacob can somehow transfer the threads to the new forum, that will be great, but as it is, I think this forum will die anyway shortly.
            Unlikely unless it's closed. In fact because of it's volume of posts, and massive keyword relevance, I would say that if people are not continually herded over to Alex's forum, this one will steadily continue to grow with new visitors.

The hard core of regular posters may have gone off to Alex's server, but I'm afraid with this one still functioning, and with huge history of posts, they are now in direct competition. If Jacob doesn't close it, I actually think it will get very busy again in time. It brings in important advertising revenue.

I can't stand the new forum software on Alex's site, if I have the choice I would far rather read and post here. It's a much clearer, and nicer user experience. As I understand it from talking with other members, they moved immediately only because Alex said this one was closing.

Comment

Does it bring it a lot of advertising revenue? From what I can see the adds only relate to guests - members don't see adds. I'm not sure what the stats are on guests vs. members or whether the ad revenue goes to Jacob or to Vbulletin.

Comment

You can all add a similar signature like mine, to inform old and new members about the new forum.

Comment

I can't stand the new forum software on Alex's site, if I have the choice I would far rather read and post here. It's a much clearer, and nicer user experience. As I understand it from talking with other members, they moved immediately only because Alex said this one was closing.
                  I'm with you, Max. I love the look and feel of Jacob's forum software. The software Alex is using can't compare. Aside from discussions about Alex's podcasts, I'd much rather continue to read all the other discussions here.

Doug

Comment

I doubt I'll register on the new board. I was already spending less time on here.

Comment

It's really not that bad on the new forum, Max. The features are on a par and in some cases better implemented on the new forum. The only thing I really didn't like was Alex's use of a plain white background, and that might have been a deal breaker for me had I not found a Firefox add-on that enabled me to get something similar to the soothing blue found here. You can see what I mean on the new forum here:

Using the features of this new forum | Skeptiko

I can still post here if I want, and as long as the historical posts are retained (which I very much hope they are), it will remain a useful resource that can easily enough be referenced from the new forum. I guess we all have a certain resistance to change, so I think I understand where you're coming from--but give it a try and within a few days you should get used to it.

Comment

Jacob has stated that this forum will be closed (sooner rather than later) and will become read-only.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                        The idea is to close the Skeptiko forums here for posting once the forum over there is in a good shape. It'll probably happen soon enough.

The other forums here will remain open for discussions.

Of course I'm not going to delete the Skeptiko forum from here. It's filled with great discussions and resources.
                        Alex had also stated in the relevant podcast that it would close. Time to face reality!
                        Last edited by Ninshub; November 8th, 2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Add this to your signature here and help informing new and old members :
                          ATTENTION ALL FORUM MEMBERS: PLEASE MOVE OVER TO THE NEW SKEPTIKO FORUM, SINCE THIS OLD FORUM IS ABOUT TO BE PHASED OUT.
                          NEW FORUM >> NEW Skeptiko Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Trancestate View Post
                            I'm with you, Max. I love the look and feel of Jacob's forum software. The software Alex is using can't compare. Aside from discussions about Alex's podcasts, I'd much rather continue to read all the other discussions here.

Doug
                            I prefer this one too. I detest facebook and don't use it, and not at all keen on the 'like' and 'dislike' button idea....and 'trophies'???

This probably makes me a hopeless reactionary Luddite, but I can live with that.
                            Last edited by Ian Holfield; November 9th, 2013, 04:47 AM.

Comment

This is why:

Three browsers, six registration attempts.

I give up - life's too short...

Comment

Working...
                              X