Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

2 lovely articles that will depress Paul C. Anagnostopoulos and Arouet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 lovely articles that will depress Paul C. Anagnostopoulos and Arouet

Here are two wonderful articles that will upset our friends Arouet and Paul C. Anagnostopoulos,

This is on respected Physicist Dr Henry Stapps theory Subversive Thinking: Mindful Universe by Henry Stapp: The Causal Efficacy of Consciousness in the light of Quantum Mechanics

and this is from the amazing Dr. Stuart Hameroff: Consciousness: it’s out there? - Guest Voices - The Washington Post

Why would they upset or depress us?

~~ Paul
    Last edited by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos; May 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I read the first one and commented on it in another thread, will look at the second, but I'll first echo Paul: why would it depress us?

I find this stuff really interesting. I'm on the record on this forum saying that Hameroff's stuff is interesting. I have no horse in this race. I'm not a vested interest in any way. I'm not a scientist. I don't work for a research institution. I'm just interested in these topics. If it turns out that psi is real, that conciousness survives death - then so be it. I just want there is be reliable evidence.

(actually, what would depress me would be to find out that the gof of the bible was real - but that's a whiole 'nother thang!)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
        Why would they upset or depress us?
        Paul my skeptical friend, I prefer when your replies show some sign of qualia ... as it would not upset or depress a robot either.

This persistence in 3rd person falsified classical logic is going much too far.

Please at least get annoyed or better still amused

Comment

I am really glad Arouet treats Dr.Stuart Hammerof with some decency, look at how badly poor Dr.Hammerof was treated in this Atheist/Materialist gathering, thank Goodness Dr.Hammerof answered all of them : YouTube - ‪30. Stuart Hameroff Hammered By Questions (1 of 2) - Beyond Belief 2006‬‏

And thanks again Arouet for being open to Dr.Hammerofs ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Open Mind View Post
            Paul my skeptical friend, I prefer when your replies show some sign of qualia ... as it would not upset or depress a robot either.

Please at least get annoyed or better still amused
            LOL haha

Comment

Originally posted by Arouet View Post

(actually, what would depress me would be to find out that the gof of the bible was real - but that's a whiole 'nother thang!)
              The very thought of it seemed to mess up your typing - but I do agree!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Open Mind

Now you're just being as ass. Is it even possible for you to make a post without repeating this mantra?

Please at least get annoyed or better still amused.
                Oh, I might. I just wouldn't be depressed or upset.

I bet everyone thinks I ought to bother reading those articles.

~~ Paul
                Last edited by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos; May 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Now you're just being as ass. Is it even possible for you to make a post without repeating this mantra?
                  I call you a skeptical friend and you call me a er ... donkey. That's one of the remaining advantages of living in Britain.

I bet everything thinks I ought to bother reading those articles.
                  Yes.

Comment

I think that the title isnt meant to be a serious call out to you guys. I for one really appreciate you two hang out and push the buttons, ask questions, present counter evidence and elaborate on things that question what people propose here.

I think you both do it in a civil and honest way. Its just that Paul and OM are a bit pissed at each other fot some weeks now isnt it? Cmon guys, dont hate.

Ill read the papers soon and comment.

Comment

Originally posted by XXII
                      I think you both do it in a civil and honest way. Its just that Paul and OM are a bit pissed at each other fot some weeks now isnt it? Cmon guys, dont hate.
                      I don't hate him. I'm just tired of being called a "materialist" when I know he's loaded that term with a pantload of obsolete and irrelevant implications. Also, it's difficult to talk when half the words have been bloated up with extra meanings.

But I'd buy him a beer if we met in the pub.

~~ Paul

Comment

I don't hate him. I'm just tired of being called a "materialist" when I know he's loaded that term with a pantload of obsolete and irrelevant implications. Also, it's difficult to talk when half the words have been bloated up with extra meanings.

But I'd buy him a beer if we met in the pub.

~~ Paul
                        But is the experience of drinking that beer an inmmaterial or a material experience?

Comment

Well, if it's a good Hefeweizen then it borders on the surreal.

~~ Paul

Comment

Well, if it's a good Hefeweizen then it borders on the surreal.

~~ Paul
                            i am just finishing one of these that i had with dinner

Comment

Cheers to all!

~~ Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X