Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Anyone attending The ( grotesque) Amazing Meeting 9 in Las Vegas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone attending The ( grotesque) Amazing Meeting 9 in Las Vegas?

The Amaz!ng Meeting | Workshops
    Paul, Arouet, Really, Porker, any of you attending, can you please do us a favour, please keep us updated on the talks, i am particularly interested in what Steve Novella, Joe Nickel, Richard Dawkins, DJ Goerthe and the infamous PZ Meyers have to say.
    Please keep us updated by posting videos if you can and notes, let us all critically analyse their bogus claims.

I think Paul's still there - probably guarding the hot tub....

Comment

[QUOTE=vikki;53575]I think Paul's still there - probably guarding the hot tub....[/QUOTE

LOL

Comment

OMA you should consider changing your screen name.

I could keep you informed but I've taken an oath if I should let be known the really good stuff I'll have to swallow a cyanide capsule and then I'll have to kill everyone I tell. Now you wouldn't want that would you ?

Comment

Originally posted by really View Post
          OMA you should consider changing your screen name.

I could keep you informed but I've taken an oath if I should let be known the really good stuff I'll have to swallow a cyanide capsule and then I'll have to kill everyone I tell. Now you wouldn't want that would you ?
          LOL, I can’t change my name, I tried to but the forum does not allow us to change our names,
          Death is not the end

Comment

Now that was funny.

Comment

I wonder how the Watson vs Dawkins scenario is gonna play out.
              Maybe they are smart and downplay it, and not let it be one of the focus point of TAM.
              Or, maybe they f**k it up and go full-contact karate on each other, and put a rift through the whole community.
              The whole Christian-sceptic debate last year (or the year before) was a summer breeze in comparison with this recent issue.

*pulls out the popcorn*

Comment

Originally posted by Pollux View Post
                I wonder how the Watson vs Dawkins scenario is gonna play out.
                Maybe they are smart and downplay it, and not let it be one of the focus point of TAM.
                Or, maybe they f**k it up and go full-contact karate on each other, and put a rift through the whole community.
                The whole Christian-sceptic debate last year (or the year before) was a summer breeze in comparison with this recent issue.

*pulls out the popcorn*

It's interesting that when you look up the speakers' biographies Rebecca Watsons name does not appear although she is apparently leading a workshop.
                I wonder if she will even show up. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

Without wishing to bring the whole fiasco up again, IMO Dawkins was the one who over-reacted. Reading some of the misogynist comments on Watsons blog and other atheist sites just illustrates that gender prejudice continues to fester in every corner of our alledgedly 'free and equal' society.
                Last edited by vikki; July 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikki View Post
                  It's interesting that when you look up the speakers' biographies Rebecca Watsons name does not appear although she is apparently leading a workshop.
                  I wonder if she will even show up. I wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

Without wishing to bring the whole fiasco up again, IMO Dawkins was the one who over-reacted. Reading some of the comments on Watsons blog and other atheist sites just illustrates that gender prejudice continues to fester in every corner of our alledgedly 'free and equal' society.
                  Yeah, I kind of agree with you.
                  Watsons initial report of what happened was quite modest and just a nudge "guys dont do that".
                  I think Dawkins response was more a reaction to the rest of the community going of rails in the commentaries following.
                  But..Watsons following response to Dawkins was just ridiculous were she claimed to have been sexually objectified and felt harassed and almost threaten.
                  A guy flirted with her in an elevator, the step from that to be physically assaulted with a knife in a back alley and raped are astronomic, yet that is what the rhetoric almost reflected from most of the commentaries to that blog.

All kinds of sick, evil and twisted things happens to women everywhere, all the time and it is horrendous, so a little perspective would be appropriate.
                  I think that that was what Dawkins referred to, not the initial youtube clip from Watson.
                  As you say, some very hateful things against women where posted in the commentaries and was quite distasteful to read.

Yet I kind of find it a bit amusing that the skeptic movement get a feel of its own hatred projected against each other, so they get a sense how their opponents feel on regular basis when it comes to paranormal claims and such. *evil grin*
                  Last edited by Pollux; July 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollux View Post
                    Yeah, I kind of agree with you.
                    Watsons initial report of what happened was quite modest and just a nudge "guys dont do that".
                    I think Dawkins response was more a reaction to the rest of the community going of rails in the commentaries following.
                    But..Watsons following response to Dawkins was just ridiculous were she claimed to have been sexually objectified and felt harassed and almost threaten.
                    A guy flirted with her in an elevator, the step from that to be physically assaulted with a knife in a back alley and raped are astronomic, yet that is what the rhetoric almost reflected from most of the commentaries to that blog.

All kinds of sick, evil and twisted things happens to women everywhere, all the time and it is horrendous, so a little perspective would be appropriate.
                    I think that that was what Dawkins referred to, not the initial youtube clip from Watson.
                    As you say, some very hateful things against women where posted in the commentaries and was quite distasteful to read.

Yet I kind of find it a bit amusing that the skeptic movement get a feel of its own hatred projected against each other, so they get a sense how their opponents feel on regular basis when it comes to paranormal claims and such. *evil grin*
                    I hear you Pollux (particularly the last paragraph referring to the 'pack' turning on itself) but the subject matter itself hits too close to home.

I understand that there are women in the world who have experienced unbelievable injustices, but to use this to minimize the fear felt by women anywhere over what 'could happen' does not work. They are pieces of the same picture, and Dawkins does not recognize this.

Comment

Folks, despite what you may think about groupthink in the skeptical community, skeptics are known to think for themselves and not to be shy about disagreeing with one another. There is nothing new about there being disagreements here.

Rebacca's tweets suggest she is at Tam and already having a pretty good time!

Comment

I dont think he minimize the fear, and I can surely sympathize with women who have encountered an assault or felt threaten.
                        But I get the feeling from many of those who comment on this that ALL men collectively are responsible of abusive behaviour and without discrimination.
                        Choosing the right moment for a flirt or approach isnt that easy for many men I guess and choosing a moment when they are alone can seem more comfortable then in a bar full of people.
                        I myself dont care, I can flirt just about anywhere if it feels right.
                        But one haft to be alert for signs of apprehension or discomfort and back off, some might have bad experience in their "luggage" that you dont know of.

One thing I usually do in a particular situation is, that when I find myself walking home some night and comes up behind a women some distance ahead of me, and no on else is around, I always switch side of the street and walk on the other sidewalk just to take tension of that women. Or I try to slow down my walking pace.
                        I can always she the shoulders and the cramped walking-style of the women relaxes.
                        Thats some of my small contribution to the women in my community.

Comment

Fyi

Frequently Answered Questions - Skepchick

https://twitter.com/#!/rebeccawatson

Comment

I know Paul has said TAM has a very relaxed atmosphere or something along the lines of that, and is apparently not what proponents would normally think it is.

I still think Phil Plait's "Don't be a dick" presentation last year probably took a lot of courage on his behalf, and I'm surprised he received a fair bit of criticism from the skeptical community about it. (Basically, Plait, a skeptic, said the skeptical movement should drop the whole jerk attitude that seems to go with a lot of people involved in organized skepticism, which some people apparently did not agree with at all.)

Along with that, I think parts of the skeptical community are either losing the jerk attitude or becoming more open to non-materialistic research. Brian Dunning's comments on his recent podcast where he wishes or hopes some researchers will find what they are looking for actually caught me off guard, I'm used to hearing Randi-style scoffing that such people are wasting their time and it is certain such things concretely don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by vikki View Post
                              gender prejudice continues to fester in every corner of our alledgedly 'free and equal' society.
                              Yes it does! It's a hard life being a guy! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X