Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Why is the Immaterial Mind Desirable ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really
    started a topic Why is the Immaterial Mind Desirable ?

Why is the Immaterial Mind Desirable ?

On this forum there's much talk that there is an immaterial component to consciousness at least in part by and by some wholly. Those that believe this have never stated why. So I'm asking: Why is that important and desirable ?

• really
    replied
    Originally posted by eveshi
    We understand the world and ourselves better.
    Ok. Can you elaborate further ?

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Correct. The same can be said for consciousness research.
    Dawkins doesn't matter. Let's keep on target. This topic isn't about consciousness research. Which is a pragmatic search by neuroscientists for the biological origins. The question is about the on going debate that put forth by some that to explain consciousness in whole or in part it must have an immaterial cause. Then the question is: Why ? What are the implications if an immaterial cause is found ?
    Last edited by really; August 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Correct. The same can be said for consciousness research.
    That's what I say. You still haven't stated why you argue for immaterial origin for consciousness.

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Consciousness is a lot more interesting than duck penises.
    I think there are a number of duckologists that might disagree with you.

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Wtf?! Do you deny that some discoveries are more important and interesting for humanity than others?

Why do quantum physicists study quantum mechanics and not duck penises? Could it be because quantum mechanics is interesting and duck penises are not?
    They study QM because it has direct and stupendously profound importance for describing how reality works. QM is much much more important than trivia like duck penis length.

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Originally posted by paqart View Post
    You really lower the quality of discussion here.

AP
    Ok, if you say so.
    With such a prodigious intelligence as yours, I'm surprised to didn't catch the blatantly absurd comparison between duck penis length and the profound importance of an immaterial mind [making it nothing more than a footnote]. If as Vikki and eveshi have said all they want is the truth and nothing more thereby reducing the importance of an immaterial mind to a gee whiz that's an interesting fact then I'm missing something.

Leave a comment:

• paqart
    replied
    Originally posted by really View Post
    I haven't met a single person that isn't psychologically motivated.

You mean to tell me that it's no more important than say learning that the maximum length of a duck’s penis depends on the company he keeps. This is a rather remarkable group of posters on this forum.
    You really lower the quality of discussion here.

AP

Leave a comment:

• O' Yeah
    replied
    Why not having it both ways?

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock View Post
    Hey really, what's so great about a completely material mind? All your arguments are in favor for it, so why do you want there to be a material mind so bad?
    I've never said that. My position has always been on the subject of the paranormal: How can you be so certain ?
    Now it's your turn to explain why an immaterial origin of consciousness is important ? If that's what you believe.

On a personal note I find there's enough wonder in the material world too satisfy me.

Leave a comment:

• Sock
    replied
    Hey really, what's so great about a completely material mind? All your arguments are in favor for it, so why do you want there to be a material mind so bad?

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Originally posted by vikki View Post
    Why, as David has recently pointed out, do you insist on assuming that proponents are psychologically motivated.
    I haven't met a single person that isn't psychologically motivated.

Originally posted by vikki View Post
    The answer to your question was given in post #2 by eveshi...belief is based on following the evidence, it is important because it may be the truth, and the truth is what we seek.
    You mean to tell me that it's no more important than say learning that the maximum length of a duck’s penis depends on the company he keeps. This is a rather remarkable group of posters on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Limbo
    replied
    On this forum there's much talk that there is an immaterial component to consciousness at least in part by and by some wholly. Those that believe this have never stated why. So I'm asking: Why is that important and desirable ?
    Obvious trapper is really obvious.

Leave a comment:

• vikki
    replied

I see nothing wrong with trying too understanding different convictions. I'm rather curious to understand what makes and the why the immaterial mind is important. In the case of proponents on this forum is it a matter of spirituality, looking for transcendence, a desire to escape this mundane reality or to know I am special. I don't know that's why I asked
    Why, as David has recently pointed out, do you insist on assuming that proponents are psychologically motivated. The answer to your question was given in post #2 by eveshi...belief is based on following the evidence, it is important because it may be the truth, and the truth is what we seek.

Leave a comment:

• really
    replied
    Originally posted by David Bailey View Post
    So the only reply that you take seriously, was the one from Open Mind, who was rather obviously joking (that is what the smiley is meant to convey).
    I was in a hurry this morning and did not read what they wrote carefully enough. I have since change my reply.

Originally posted by David Bailey View Post
    Either we are having a conversation about abstract ideas, or we are having a conversation about obscure psychological motivations for everything. You seem obsessed with supposed psychological motivations of others here, and I can't help wondering why. What is there in your past - maybe something psi-related - that you need to deny?

David
    I see nothing wrong with trying too understanding different convictions. I'm rather curious to understand what makes and the why the immaterial mind is important. In the case of proponents on this forum is it a matter of spirituality, looking for transcendence, a desire to escape this mundane reality or to know I am special. I don't know that's why I asked

Leave a comment:

Working...
X