Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

146. Paranormal Podcast Host Jim Harold on the Mainstream Media’s Non-Coverage of the

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 146. Paranormal Podcast Host Jim Harold on the Mainstream Media’s Non-Coverage of the

Jim Harold explains why mainstream media outlets stick to conventional “giggle factor” reports of the paranormal. - Join Skeptiko host Alex Tsakiris for an interview with author, and host of the Paranormal Podcast, Jim Harold.

Click here to read more ...

Enjoyed listening.

I don't think I've listened to Jim Harold's programme in past, he sounded an open minded, personable bloke to me. I will listen in sometime.

I also think the end comments should put some listeners concerns at ease. Nothing has been lost, it seems just wider net of related areas being pulled in and up for debate on this very forum If it brings a sightly wider net of listeners too, that is a good thing IMHO.

Comment

I agree with Open Mind - Jim Harold came across as a very fair minded guy - though perhaps I would have liked to hear him speculate a bit more.

I too liked Alex's comments at the end, because I do feel that we are already focused on the #1 mystery - so other mysteries/conspiracies should figure only in as much as they illuminate our main topic.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy B
        I'm not very keen on the "para-celebrities" that get interviewed on paranormal podcast.
        To be fair, I have never heard his podcast.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy B
          I'm not very keen on the "para-celebrities" that get interviewed on paranormal podcast. Most of the TV shows on these topics are terrible. I don't really have much interest in who is on Ghost Hunters Academy.

I do like it when Harold interviews parapsychologists such as Stephen Braude or Loyd Auerbach, but you have to wade through a lot of silly interviews to find the good ones.
          I think Jim does a great job with his show. I think he's shown great courage and tenacity (he's been at it six years). It's hard to produce a high quality show like his on spec... i.e. all funded out-of-pocket. I wish him well.

Comment

Originally posted by David Bailey View Post
            ...we are already focused on the #1 mystery - so other mysteries/conspiracies should figure only in as much as they illuminate our main topic.

David
            Well said... I agree... not interested in conspiracies for entertainment... or materialistic grousing (i.e. politics). How does this culture of deception (if you buy into that idea) impact the science we care about? How would a paradigm shift (e.g. to survival) impact the current power structure? What might they do (done) to prevent such a shift?

Comment

You tell me Alex. Has there ever been a US president who didn't believe (or at least profess to believe) in survival? Isn't it true that most world leaders are religious and believe in survival? Non-theists have always been a minority. Why would you think incorporating survival into science would change anything for the politicians who would just say: yes, of course! We've always believed that!

The company that put the bible quotes on the guns for soldiers in Iraq also believed in survival!

Comment

Originally posted by Arouet View Post
                You tell me Alex. Has there ever been a US president who didn't believe (or at least profess to believe) in survival? Isn't it true that most world leaders are religious and believe in survival? Non-theists have always been a minority. Why would you think incorporating survival into science would change anything for the politicians who would just say: yes, of course! We've always believed that!

The company that put the bible quotes on the guns for soldiers in Iraq also believed in survival!
                that's the point... when you strip away the veneer (as we've been doing in recent episodes) you can see just how contrived this all is... religion (for the most part) has been geared to feed the materialistic paradigm.

Comment

Forget about religion: theists for the most part believe in survival. Most political leaders are theists. Most political leaders believe in survival!

Honestly, Alex, I think you're on the wrong track here. The fact is that most people have believed in survival for most of human history.

But religion being geared to feed a materialist paradigm? How can that be? Religion existed long before any materialist philosophy ever came about and basic theism is not compatible with materialism.

Maybe I could go with materialism has served to dampen the impact of religion, but I don't think you can do it the other way.

Comment

Forget about religion: theists for the most part believe in survival. Most political leaders are theists. Most political leaders believe in survival!

Honestly, Alex, I think you're on the wrong track here. The fact is that most people have believed in survival for most of human history.

But religion being geared to feed a materialist paradigm? How can that be? Religion existed long before any materialist philosophy ever came about and basic theism is not compatible with materialism.

Maybe I could go with materialism has served to dampen the impact of religion, but I don't think you can do it the other way.
                    Honestly, back at you Arouet, you're a complete Skeptic (with a capital S)... I don't think you get where I'm coming from... keep listening... all secrets revealed by episode 200

Comment

Originally posted by alextsakiris View Post
                      religion (for the most part) has been geared to feed the materialistic paradigm.
                      Wait. What? Sorry, but that just sounds bonkers. No offense.

Could you elaborate on what you mean there?

Comment

Originally posted by alextsakiris View Post
                        that's the point... when you strip away the veneer (as we've been doing in recent episodes) you can see just how contrived this all is... religion (for the most part) has been geared to feed the materialistic paradigm.
                        Alex, have you read this book:

The Last Superstition

If not I think you should.

It clears up a lot about the current Cartesian-dualist/materialist/secular/modernist mess that we are in.

Also, exposes a lot of the village-atheist/debunker fallacies and deceptions.

Comment

Most political leaders are theists.
                          Or claim to be.

Comment

Sure, I said that above. But given that most people are theists, the odds are still good that the overwhelming majority of these political leaders are actual theists and don't just profess to be. Particularly on the right.

Point is: many many political leaders believe in God and survival. There is no sea change to be had there. The sea change would be for the political establishment NOT to believe in survival.

Comment

Sure, I said that above. But given that most people are theists, the odds are still good that the overwhelming majority of these political leaders are actual theists and don't just profess to be. Particularly on the right.

Point is: many many political leaders believe in God and survival. There is no sea change to be had there. The sea change would be for the political establishment NOT to believe in survival.
                              I think there is a big difference in believing in a particular form of survival based on ones particular religious dogma and believing in or being open to survival based on scientific evidence through nde, reincarnation and other research which shows cross culturally that the experience is non sectarian and doesn't favor a particular God or even "a" god at all - not to mention the contemplative and mystical traditions which tend to be non sectarian at their core and far less dogmatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X