Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Where does consciousness go after death, according to skeptics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where does consciousness go after death, according to skeptics?

    .....
    Last edited by eveshi; November 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by eveshi View Post
    I'd like to hear from our members who lean towards the view that 'death = end of consciousness' what exactly, in their opinion, happens to consciousness after death.
    I sometimes read that consciousness 'vanishes' or 'ceases to exist', and all other kinds of vague things, but what exactly is that supposed to mean? If we take it literally that consciousness ceases to exist, i. e. that it becomes non-existent after death, aren't those who hold this view commited to a 'destruction into nothing' then? If so, how is this different from a 'creation out of nothing', just in the opposite direction?
    Do we have reasons to think that these are rational concepts, rather than sheer magic?
    Are there any examples in nature where something simply ceases to exist in some point in time?
    Welcome back eveshi
    Consciousness is a property of highly evolved biological tissues, its very difficult to imagine consciousness surviving independently of the brain.
    As my teacher the great Christof Koch says :
    What is clear is that every conscious act or intention has some physical correlate. With the end of life, consciousness ceases, for without brain, there is no mind. Still, these irrevocable facts do not exclude some beliefs about the soul, resurrection and God.
    - Christof Koch page 327

    I find the concept of resurrection deeply disturbing, i don't want to wait for the end of the world to get to heaven.
    I hope Interesting Ians transmission theory is true.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sniffy the Atheist View Post

      As my teacher the great Christof Koch says :

      What is clear is that every conscious act or intention has some physical correlate. With the end of life, consciousness ceases, for without brain, there is no mind. Still, these irrevocable facts do not exclude some beliefs about the soul, resurrection and God.
      How can Koch measure any conscious experience that doesn't correlate? He would just assume whatever part of the brain is active, consciousness must be located somewhere there. This is a unfalsifiable belief?

      Koch has in past ruled out a quantum mind, however thoughts could have non-local correlates .... non-locality doesn't mean just correlating through space in our time frame but can also be intepretated as backwards through time ..... in otherwords after brain destruction, the past may persist as a perfect record or memory system of everything that has previously occurred physically ... and Koch is suffering from a lack of imagination

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by eveshi
        That's exactly what I mean. 'Consciousness ceases' -- fair enough, but where does it go?
        Let us also extend the question to materialists .... where does the past go? As materialists do you believe the past pops out of existence as time moves on? Einstein didn't believe that, he believed the past still persisted.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by eveshi View Post
          Are there any examples in nature where something simply ceases to exist at some point in time?
          You for real with that question?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Open Mind View Post
            Let us also extend the question to materialists .... where does the past go? As materialists do you believe the past pops out of existence as time moves on? Einstein didn't believe that, he believed the past still persisted.
            I always think of The Langoliers (who "eats up" the past), when this issue comes up.

            How would you suppose that would work?
            Would we be all part of every moment yet unaware of it?

            Comment


            • #7
              You know, it's funny how someone can ask a question that is simply meaningless to another person.

              Consciousness is a process. The process ceases to operate when we die, just like every other process going on in our bodies.

              Perhaps it might help if you answer this question: Where does computation go when we unplug a computer?

              ~~ Paul

              Comment


              • #8
                Where does democracy go when no one's voting?
                Where does football go when the no one's playing?
                Where does music go when people put their instruments down?
                Where does discussion go when no one's posting?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by eveshi View Post
                  I'd like to hear from our members who lean towards the view that 'death = end of consciousness' what exactly, in their opinion, happens to consciousness after death.
                  I sometimes read that consciousness 'vanishes' or 'ceases to exist', and all other kinds of vague things, but what exactly is that supposed to mean? If we take it literally that consciousness ceases to exist, i. e. that it becomes non-existent after death, aren't those who hold this view commited to a 'destruction into nothing' then? If so, how is this different from a 'creation out of nothing', just in the opposite direction?
                  Do we have reasons to think that these are rational concepts, rather than sheer magic?
                  Are there any examples in nature where something simply ceases to exist at some point in time?
                  Have you ever lost consciousness?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post

                    Perhaps it might help if you answer this question: Where does computation go when we unplug a computer?

                    ~~ Paul
                    The result and the collected data remains, either on a detachable device, or on a storage-device online, where it can be revived with another computer.

                    You see what I'm getting at??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pollux View Post
                      The result and the collected data remains, either on a detachable device, or on a storage-device online, where it can be revived with another computer.

                      You see what I'm getting at??
                      So you're talking about recorded material data being stored and revived using a computer process?

                      I can record my memories in a diary and someone else can read it. Is it the same consciousness in the reader?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Pollux View Post
                        The result and the collected data remains, either on a detachable device, or on a storage-device online, where it can be revived with another computer.

                        You see what I'm getting at??
                        Data and data storage isn't a process.
                        Suppose though I utterly destroy the data storage device. Where does the data go ? It goes nowhere. It ceases to exist.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by eveshi
                          I doubt it, but I cannot know it for sure.


                          Everybody loses consciousness every time they sleep.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by eveshi
                            I doubt it, but I cannot know it for sure.
                            Well do you agree that people lose consciousness?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Where does the light in a room go if you switch it of

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X