Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense

I think it's a mix, there is some stuff that is obviously crazy, but other stuff I believe the jury is still out there. I could be wrong, but interestingly NDEs aren't on there.

A pet peeve of mine, but I kind of hate the implication that one can only think rationally if they are a materialist. I don't doubt there are some very wacko proponents out there, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say you can only be rational if you subscribe to a certain belief system, that is materialism.

Comments:

The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense - Cheezburger

What a nice looking egg laying...
    Must hang out for all 'skeptics' along with the Western Creed by Ch. Tart!

Originally posted by Aftrbrnr View Post
    I could be wrong, but interestingly NDEs aren't on there.
    Could you really even imagine that such a headstone dogma of modern 'free thinkers' is disregarded there?

The Reason Stick: The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense
    OBE are listed in the first diagram.
    NDE are listed in the second one, as same as Spirits/Souls, Heaven, the Afterlife, Reincarnation etc.
    All-inclusive service, hehe!)))))
    Last edited by MitiL; April 19th, 2013, 04:51 AM.

Comment

How arrogant. Why people spends their time doing things like this escapes my comprehension.

Comment

A pet peeve of mine, but I kind of hate the implication that one can only think rationally if they are a materialist.

Actually materialism is not a rational philosophy.

Materialism is supposed to be the preferred world view because there are supposedly evolutionary and biological reasons that might predispose people to believe in religions and to be superstitious. Humans tend to be irrational.

So the argument goes, materialism is better because it is based on reason.

But all those factors that make people irrational apply to materialists. So how can they trust materialism if it is supposedly based on reason or appeals to reason for it's validity when according to materialism, because of evolution, humans tend to be irrational?

Materialism is self defeating and materialists are not rational in their belief in it.

Particularly since there can be no evidence for materialism, only lack of evidence for alternatives. So belief in materialism is based on faith not reason. But there is very good evidence for the afterlife and ESP that falsify materialism.

Of course the materialist feebly attack the evidence with slurs and ridicule but without ever actually addressing the specifics of the evidence. Because they are not rational, they think that is logical and convincing. But ultimately they can't successfully dispute the evidence because the evidence is extremely strong, so the only tactics they have at their disposal are misdirection, ignorance and irrationality.
        Last edited by anonymous; April 19th, 2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier View Post
          How arrogant. Why people spends their time doing things like this escapes my comprehension.
          It's so these things can be put on T-shirts. How about this one?

The Reason Stick: The Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense

~~ Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Javier View Post
            Every worshipper has to "celebrate" their religion. This is how materialist believers pay tribute to their gods. Ironically, it looks a bit like a Mandala, which proves even more that it's a religion.

Comment

Where is psychokinesis there?!!!??!!!!?! I can see only levitation!!!!!!!! One of my favourite topics is missed!!!!!!!! I'm enraged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think it's a mix, there is some stuff that is obviously crazy, but other stuff I believe the jury is still out there. I could be wrong, but interestingly NDEs aren't on there.

A pet peeve of mine, but I kind of hate the implication that one can only think rationally if they are a materialist. I don't doubt there are some very wacko proponents out there, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say you can only be rational if you subscribe to a certain belief system, that is materialism.

Comments:

The Venn Diagram of Irrational Nonsense - Cheezburger
                I count 72 total entries, about eight of which I actively believe in, and several others I lean toward or consider plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post

~~ Paul
                  There's VERY little of that, that I would consider irrational nonsense. I believe in the vast majority of everything that's outlined on that table!

The only ones I would say that I definitely have no belief in are:

Holocaust Denial
                  New World Order
                  Moon Landing Denial
                  HIV Aids Denial
                  Conspiracy Theories (well, it depends on the Conspiracy Theory.)
                  Scientology
                  Creationism (depends what is meant by Creationism. My idea is that some form of intelligent consciousness could have sparked the beginning of everything and that all life is a part of this all-encompassing consciousness/energy - some New Agers, etc, refer to it as 'All That Is'. That's why I believe that everything/everyone is connected and All is One, we are all parts of this universal consciousness. But I don't believe in the Biblical story of Creationism, so if that is what is meant by it, then I don't believe that.)

Everything else, I pretty much either actively believe in or believe is possible. It's not irrational nonsense to me. If I was to name that table, I would call it: "Beautiful, fun, exciting, entertaining possibilities!"

Comment

~~ Paul
                    On that table, there are ~10 items I firmly believe in, and others which are significant possibilities. They even list "Ganzfeld experiment" as "irrational nonsense"-- is it now irrational not only to believe in claims of telepathy, but even to try to test those claims?

Comment

from the link
                      Originally posted by anonymous View Post
                      "Given materialist naturalism, the probability that my cognitive faculties are reliable with respect to metaphysical beliefs would be low. So take any metaphysical belief I have: the probability that it is true, given materialist naturalism, cannot be much above .5. But of course materialist naturalism is itself a metaphysical belief. So the materialistic naturalist should think the probability of materialist naturalism is about .5. But that means that she cannot sensibly believe her own doctrine. If she believes it, she shouldn’t believe it. In this way materialist naturalism is self-defeating."
                      this should be removed from the webpage bc it is so embarrassingly bad, it isn't even wrong. X = "materialist naturalism is true". the conditional probability P(X|X) = exactly 1, not "about .5". and P(Y|X) = 0, where Y = any other belief disjoint from X. it doesn't matter what P(X) is.

Comment

I think how much one agrees or disagrees with the list will vary from person to person. I'm looking at the version 3.7 one from MitiL's link and there is stuff on there like vampires that I think the majority of the population will agree that is plain nonsense, but quite a bit of the rest of the stuff while obviously not 100% proven there is evidence that there might be something going on.

I have ran into UFO/Alien people who aren't too much into non-materialism, I would say they would be in the same boat as materialist skeptics toward things like NDEs. Conversely, there are also the same type out there who are more open to spiritual topics.

And this is why I think there seems to be a bit of dishonesty, while I feel there are definitely people who subscribe to these things that are a bit on the irrational side, to say without question anyone who gives credence to some of the things that hold more water (such as NDEs) is a bit far of a claim. As I've said earlier, while there isn't a blatant implication things like this chart are basically saying you have to be a materialist to think rational, and the whole concept that one has to subscribe to a certain system of beliefs (materialism or not) is the only way to think rational is problematic if you ask me. Similarly, I feel the term skepticism has been so twisted be the materialists that today it is now just a synonym for materialism when in fact one's belief in materialism or not is independent of the term.

I also noticed the link has a nice picture saying "Keep calm and ridicule bullshit", I am so glad within the past few years there has been attempts within the materialist skeptics movement to shy away from rudeness. I don't think the issue with proponents at times has been the fact that they hold opposite views to them, this I think is acceptable to many but the rudeness causes an emotional outburst from some who then claim it is their beliefs that they don't agree with.
                        Last edited by Aftrbrnr; April 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

IMO rationality isn't *always* all it's cracked up to be anyway. Now don't get me wrong, it's a good attribute, and there are many situations which definitely call for rationality, logic, reason, etc...they are traits to be admired.

But irrationality can just be plain good fun! It's entertaining! I think irrationality and illogicality should be praised and valued as well! What a dull world we would live in if we had no irrationality, no craziness, no eccentricity. It's fun, fun, fun, fun, fun! And fun is all I want to have!

The world of the arts is not always very logical or rational - in fact, it's one area where irrationality can thrive! Music, films, TV, literature, paintings, you name it...irrationality rears it's head and we're all the better for it.

One of the things I love most about the arts is that there are (in general) so few rules. There are a lot less than there are in the sciences, anyway, it seems. I respect the subject of science a great deal, but as an English Literature and Creative Writing student, my natural pull has always been towards creative things like the arts. I enjoyed acting and would love to be able to write songs or to draw/paint well.

So let's celebrate irrationality as well! It's entertaining and amusing and gives a lot of people joy. IMO that's something that should be celebrated.

The popular children's author Roald Dahl once said "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." I think that's a good perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
                            On that table, there are ~10 items I firmly believe in, and others which are significant possibilities. They even list "Ganzfeld experiment" as "irrational nonsense"-- is it now irrational not only to believe in claims of telepathy, but even to try to test those claims?
                            I don't think that you intended to be funny, but I actually LOLed at this

Comment

Very nice!

118 Mitzvot lo taaseh of 'Rational Skepticism'
                              Maybe for those neophytes who aren't prepared to adopt the Western Creed in its entirety, as the complete esoteric part of the teaching...)))
                              Last edited by MitiL; April 19th, 2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X