Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

Skeptico Youtube Channel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skeptico Youtube Channel?

    Hey guys, I was just wondering if Scepticco has a youtube account?

    I think its more important to do this because youtube seems to be the best possible medium to attract a larger fanbase these days..

    So far, from what I've seen.. ALL youtubers are either Conspiracy Nutjobs OR pseudo Skeptics.

    There is NO middle ground.

    Therefore I was wondering if they have youtube channel..

    Also, I'd be happy to receive recommendations for similar youtube channels who do silimar work...

  • #2
    Originally posted by TAEHSAEN View Post
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if Scepticco has a youtube account?
    There is one for Skeptiko, skeptiko - YouTube
    There is also Twitter and Facebook. Each fills a niche - but some are more active than others.


    Also, I'd be happy to receive recommendations for similar youtube channels who do silimar work...
    Maybe this for a start: Buddha at the Gas Pump - YouTube

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TAEHSAEN View Post

      So far, from what I've seen.. ALL youtubers are either Conspiracy Nutjobs OR pseudo Skeptics.

      There is NO middle ground.
      That's the problem. You have to wade through pages of mutha*!£*%&*ing or mindless condescension to find one comment worth reading. Intelligent moderation is a necessity and giant forums don't have the means or inclination to keep out the nut jobs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gabriel View Post
        That's the problem. You have to wade through pages of mutha*!£*%&*ing or mindless condescension to find one comment worth reading. Intelligent moderation is a necessity and giant forums don't have the means or inclination to keep out the nut jobs.
        You are certainly right about the comments.

        But still, youtube is a valuable repository for all sorts of material, on every topic you can think of. Some of the stuff out there is deliberate hoax material too, so you have to be wary.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by gabriel View Post
          That's the problem. You have to wade through pages of mutha*!£*%&*ing or mindless condescension to find one comment worth reading. Intelligent moderation is a necessity and giant forums don't have the means or inclination to keep out the nut jobs.
          YouTubes comments-section is the largest asshole-magnet in the known universe. The concentration and compression of assholes and their comments -and the energy spent on it- exceeds those of 3 black holes and 12 supernovas. It is the intellectual sewer of human expression.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pollux View Post
            YouTubes comments-section is the largest asshole-magnet in the known universe. The concentration and compression of assholes and their comments -and the energy spent on it- exceeds those of 3 black holes and 12 supernovas. It is the intellectual sewer of human expression.
            Well stated.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pollux View Post
              YouTubes comments-section is the largest asshole-magnet in the known universe. The concentration and compression of assholes and their comments -and the energy spent on it- exceeds those of 3 black holes and 12 supernovas. It is the intellectual sewer of human expression.
              Pollux, thanks for explaining the scientific relationship between blackholes and a**holes.

              I agree it's a cesspool. A window into the (understandable) need for human expression, no matter how uneducated the opinions and accompanied by an utter lack of concern for treating others, and into how much the English language gets massacred and/or is not mastered at a basic level by its native speakers! It's like a high school class without a professor.

              .
              Last edited by Ninshub; July 13th, 2013, 10:04 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ninshub View Post
                Pollux, thanks for explaining the scientific relationship between blackholes and a**holes.

                I agree it's a cesspool. A window into the (understandable) need for human expression, no matter how uneducated the opinions and accompanied by an utter lack of concern for treating others, and into how much the English language gets massacred and/or is not mastered at a basic level by its native speakers! It's like a high school class without a professor.

                .
                Lord of the Flies Meets the Internet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ninshub View Post
                  Pollux, thanks for explaining the scientific relationship between blackholes and a**holes.
                  +1; I still can't stop laughing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sadly accurate XKCD:

                    image.jpg

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gabriel View Post
                      That's the problem. You have to wade through pages of mutha*!£*%&*ing or mindless condescension to find one comment worth reading. Intelligent moderation is a necessity and giant forums don't have the means or inclination to keep out the nut jobs.
                      Yup but there is this very nice thing on Facebook called "Comment Moderation"... meaning you have to approve any comments people make... and it works a treat.

                      I have it on all my psychic videos on youtube... and let me tell you it absolutely pisses skeptics off.. which in turn gives me the greatest joy I get lots of private messages from skeptics abusing me for turning moderating comments.

                      I will let any comment appear as long as it is constructive... but you get overrun with "Anyone who believes this is gullible" and "John Edward is a douche" comments.

                      I reject those comments so they don't appear... and then send a standard template private message to the skeptic telling them what a complete and utter wanker they are... how uneducated they are... then link them to some scientific material on PSI and Mediumship... and then finish the message with a "Must piss you off that nobody can see your comment... but not as much as it will piss you off that I've now blocked you and you can't reply back to this email... see you on the "other side "

                      Childish... maybe... but these guys live off the fact that their opinion is splashed all over the internet and that they have proven they are intelligent critical thinkers.... makes them feel powerful. Nothing like pulling that rug away from under them.

                      Besides it's good to see comments from grieving people on my videos saying "It's lovely to see so many positive comments here and no nastiness". They are oblivious to the fact I make sure it's that way.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X