Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

In Dean Radin's "Supernormal" Dean discusses the influence of personality on psi experiences. The discussion begins on page 88.

There, he references 4 different sources while discussing this, a main one being Dianne Arcangel's Afterlife Encounters: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Experiences.

Apparently, Arcangel (is this really her real name?) did some research which found that 96% of people with NF personality types experienced some form of afterdeath communication when loved ones passed away whereas 100% of ST personality types did not.

These personality types come from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator which was based upon Carl Jung's writings on personality.

Dean makes some interesting points about personality and states that ST personality types make up nearly everyone working in "big business" whereas NF types are the sorts who are drawn to "spiritual" pursuits and reflection. According to Radin, this is why money is hardly ever set aside for psi-research - the people interested in it don't have any power.

I'm an INFP. I've taken the MBTI multiple times since 1997 and have consistently been an INFP. I'm wondering what personalities we have here on the forum and am figuring the great bulk of us are probably NF's - if Radin's speculation proves true.

Here's a link to a site where you can test yourself: Myers-Briggs (Personality) Type Indicator (MBTI) EDIT: ALERT!! We are looking at the TWO MIDDLE letters of your MBTI personality type. For example, if you are an INTJ then vote NT. If you are an ENFP then vote NF.
    ST
    8.33%
    SF
    0.00%
    NF
    60.42%
    NT
    31.25%
    Last edited by Philemon; July 30th, 2013, 09:05 PM.

Did the test in your link. Got: INTP - though a number of times I didn't like either choice. Anyhow, take it as you will!

Comment

Taking the test now. So many of the questions are false dichotomies. Some don't require a choice. For example, I am both leisurely and punctual by leaving early for appointments. Do I put more value on "infinite" or "open-minded"---huh?

I'm an INTJ.

~~ Paul

Comment

I got ENFJ

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
          Taking the test now. So many of the questions are false dichotomies. Some don't require a choice. For example, I am both leisurely and punctual by leaving early for appointments. Do I put more value on "infinite" or "open-minded"---huh?

I'm an INTJ.

~~ Paul
          +1

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
          I have a lot of problems with the briggs myers test. I can't decide what the right answers for me are. It seems to me to make false dichotomies. Does anyone else have this problem?

Myers-Briggs Widely Used But Still Controversial
          The practical effect of this is that even though the MBTI claims to reveal a subjects’ inborn, unchanging personality type, as many as 75% of test takers are assigned a different type when they take the Myers-Briggs a second time.

Academic psychologists and commercial test providers have a tendency to put a different ‘spin’ on how valid and reliable these personality questionnaires are, with the test providers unsurprisingly ‘talking up’ both validity and reliability.

The following quotes are from David M. Boje, Ph.D., Professor of Management in the Management Department, CBAE at New Mexico State University (NMSU).

“…do not treat the archetype scores of M-B as anything more than Astrology”

“The test is not valid or legal to use for personnel assignments, hiring, or promotion. It does not have predictive validity for such uses. It is a useful guide, and no more. Problem is, people go to a workshop, get excited and treat M-B as a secret window into the mind of their co-workers.”

Robert Spillane, Professor of Management at the Graduate School of Management at Macquarie University argues that research shows that efforts to predict performance from personality and motivation tests have been consistently and spectacularly unsuccessful.

"[Tests] trivialize human behavior by assuming that (fake) attitudes predict performance. Not only is this incorrect but testers offer no explanations for behavior beyond the circular proposition that behavior is caused by traits which are inferred from behavior,".

"The technical deficiencies of most personality tests have been known for many years. Yet they are conveniently ignored by those with vested interests in their continued use,"

You can easily find hundreds of quotes like these, in which noted and published psychologists call into question the use of personality tests.
          My personal observation from spending time at Spiritualist churches is that you can't make generalizations about psychics. In any random group of psychics you will find all different types of people. However a Spiritualist church is self-selecting, so you might get a different result if you tested the general population.

How many people of each type were in Arcangel's study? How did she select the subjects for her study?
          Last edited by anonymous; July 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I've take it multiple times too - INFJ/P. Usually it's the J, but it's always close on that one I guess. Fits my personality, to be a mix of J and P - I'm very spontaneous with some things, but like order elsewhere.

Comment

They forgot the following question:

Do you like taking these annoying tests?
              • Yes
              • No

~~ Paul

Comment

I got an INFP... is that bad, doctor?
                "The Dreamer"... haha, I am not so sure this test is really accurate.

And some questions are a bit ridiculous. I have found myself thinking: "Heck, it depends!" at least 7-8 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
                  I had exactly the same problem.

But then I always complain about polls not making sense
                  My preferred answer is often "both" or "neither".

Comment

I am an INFJ. Always have been. Straight male INFJ's comprise approximately .0015% of the population. Which explains a lot.

Last edited by Craig Weiler; July 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

One of the things I don't like about this test is that it doesn't quantify the variables. For example on the introvert/extrovert axis, you can have people at the extremes or somewhere in the middle. So people of vastly different personality types might have the same letters (extremes and moderates), and people of very similar personality types might have completely different letters (moderates).

Comment

INFJ, the “Confidant”

Introversion: 100%
                        iNtutitive: 75%
                        Feeling: 85%
                        Judging: 75%

Straight male also. Guess I'm really in the minority!

What's J vs. P? (EDIT: Ah, perceiving, got it.)

I had the same problems answering, but I answered anyway. I guess your hesitations even out somehow.
                        Last edited by Ninshub; July 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

If the trend continues, it would appear F vs. T is a predictor of whether you're a skeptic or proponent. Just as I thought, psychology trumps philosophy/truth-investigating. No need to continue the Skeptiko forum! It's not the facts, it's your personality, stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninshub View Post
                            INFJ, the “Confidant”

Introversion: 100%
                            iNtutitive: 75%
                            Feeling: 85%
                            Judging: 75%

Straight male also. Guess I'm really in the minority!

What's J vs. P? (EDIT: Ah, perceiving, got it.)

I had the same problems answering, but I answered anyway. I guess your hesitations even out somehow.
                            Also called the counselor and the protector.

I'm not surprised to run into INFJ's on this board. Especially male. We like communicating this way. Helps us keep our distance from the icky energy while still communicating.

Comment

I agree about the vagueness of the test, etc. Anyway, I always score ENFP on these kinds of tests, and I think it's fairly accurate for me at least

Comment

Working...
                              X