Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of these 'tests/polls', on any given forum, about any given subject are ego driven 'look!' this is what I think! (whatever your 'nik' is). Maybe fun for some, but ultimately pointless.

This site going mainstream now or just trying to jazz it up a little?

Comment

Originally posted by t4msync View Post
      All of these 'tests/polls', on any given forum, about any given subject are ego driven 'look!' this is what I think! (whatever your 'nik' is). Maybe fun for some, but ultimately pointless.

On this forum it shows a clear divide on the thinking. Different personality types support different positions. Also, INFJ's and INFP's together make up only about 4% of the population. And about 2/3rds of those are female. And many of the remainder are gay males.

Yet on this board they are hugely over represented. Particularly INFJ straight males. Don't you find that the least bit interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by t4msync View Post

Originally posted by Craig Weiler View Post
        On this forum it shows a clear divide on the thinking. Different personality types support different positions. Also, INFJ's and INFP's together make up only about 4% of the population. And about 2/3rds of those are female. And many of the remainder are gay males.

Yet on this board they are hugely over represented. Particularly INFJ straight males. Don't you find that the least bit interesting?
        t4msync,

I agree that a lot of these personality tests can be misused to boost the ego but, used properly, they are meant to increase personal insight into why interactions with others often occur as they do and why one seems to experience the same sorts of experiences over and over - and yet somehow experiences that are relatively unique to us. For instance, Gurdjieff was one of the major influences behind the Enneagram and was meant to be used as a way to break free of ego - and yet that personality tool is now widely used by people to get even more trapped in it! Jung's "Psychological Types" was meant, in part, to help people understand why there never seems to be a consensus about anything among groups of people. We continue to ignore these insights at our own peril. All of us are in the position of being the guy with only a hammer who thinks every problem is a nail to be pounded away at. However, some of us have paint brushes, some have microscopes, some have refined debate skills, etc. Until we recognize that we need all these tools to come to bear on our collective issues - and not just one of them dominating over all the others - we're going to continue to suffer as a species and miss out on a lot of wonderful possibilities and growth.

I think there is merit in these sorts of tools to help us understand the issues we face in the world in general, and especially issues related to psi in particular - just as Radin points out in his book.

Craig,

I totally agree with you. How weird there are so many INFJs/INFPs here. Can you throw me a link with the stats you are using?

Comment

Originally posted by Philemon View Post
          However, some of us have paint brushes, some have microscopes, some have refined debate skills, etc. Until we recognize that we need all these tools to come to bear on our collective issues - and not just one of them dominating over all the others - we're going to continue to suffer as a species and miss out on a lot of wonderful possibilities and growth.
          Amen to that

Comment

t4msync,

I agree that a lot of these personality tests can be misused to boost the ego but, used properly, they are meant to increase personal insight into why interactions with others often occur as they do and why one seems to experience the same sorts of experiences over and over - and yet somehow experiences that are relatively unique to us. For instance, Gurdjieff was one of the major influences behind the Enneagram and was meant to be used as a way to break free of ego - and yet that personality tool is now widely used by people to get even more trapped in it! Jung's "Psychological Types" was meant, in part, to help people understand why there never seems to be a consensus about anything among groups of people. We continue to ignore these insights at our own peril. All of us are in the position of being the guy with only a hammer who thinks every problem is a nail to be pounded away at. However, some of us have paint brushes, some have microscopes, some have refined debate skills, etc. Until we recognize that we need all these tools to come to bear on our collective issues - and not just one of them dominating over all the others - we're going to continue to suffer as a species and miss out on a lot of wonderful possibilities and growth.

I think there is merit in these sorts of tools to help us understand the issues we face in the world in general, and especially issues related to psi in particular - just as Radin points out in his book.

Craig,

I totally agree with you. How weird there are so many INFJs/INFPs here. Can you throw me a link with the stats you are using?
            The MBTI websites have a breakdown of percentages and gender. Myers Briggs Statistics | Statistic Brain

But in the book HISS of the ASP there are some better INFJ statistics. Although the line is blurred somewhat because they are also referred to as Anomalously Sensitive People, which isn't exactly the same thing.

Comment

The MBTI websites have a breakdown of percentages and gender. Myers Briggs Statistics | Statistic Brain

But in the book HISS of the ASP there are some better INFJ statistics. Although the line is blurred somewhat because they are also referred to as Anomalously Sensitive People, which isn't exactly the same thing.
              Thanks for the link, Craig. Is Hiss of the Asp strictly about INFJs?

Comment

Your personality type: INFP.

Strength of individual traits: I - 56%, N - 44%, F - 48%, P - 4%.

Pretty much everything in the description fits me well. I'm also a heterosexual male.

Did the test at this location: INFP personality | 16 Personality Types

Comment

Originally posted by OC68
                  Juan!
                  LOL, yeah. Way to go Juan! You blew our perfect streak! Now everything's ruined! (might as well add: "This is why we can't have nice things!").

Comment

Craig, sorry for being picky, but can you tell me where you're getting the part about 2/3rds being female? I ask because, in the MB statistics table you posted, the numbers for INFP and INFJ look like this:

Total..............Male......Female
                    INFP 4.4 %....4.1 %....4.6 %
                    INFJ 1.46 %...1.3 %....1.6 %

Although females outnumber males in these types, there doesn't seem to be a great disparity between the percentages.

Also, I can't seem to find any references online to sources that back up the claim that most male INFJs are gay. Can you point me to one? (I'm another straight INFJ, by the way.)

Doug

Comment

LOL, yeah. Way to go Juan! You blew our perfect streak! Now everything's ruined! (might as well add: "This is why we can't have nice things!").
                      Lucky Juan! I like being unusual and being the odd one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trancestate View Post
                        Craig, sorry for being picky, but can you tell me where you're getting the part about 2/3rds being female? I ask because, in the MB statistics table you posted, the numbers for INFP and INFJ look like this:

Total..............Male......Female
                        INFP 4.4 %....4.1 %....4.6 %
                        INFJ 1.46 %...1.3 %....1.6 %

Although females outnumber males in these types, there doesn't seem to be a great disparity between the percentages.

Also, I can't seem to find any references online to sources that back up the claim that most male INFJs are gay. Can you point me to one? (I'm another straight INFJ, by the way.)

Doug
                        The HISS of the ASP by David Ritchey. No website, just the book.

Comment

I forgot to mention that Arouet and I have the same result: ENFP. I agree that it does describe me fairly well, just as the two for my wife and daughter fit them well also. If one assumes this is accurate, then I would rule out the personality type connection to psi on the basis of the differences between me and Arouet on that subject.

AP

Comment

Originally posted by paqart View Post
                            I forgot to mention that Arouet and I have the same result: ENFP. I agree that it does describe me fairly well, just as the two for my wife and daughter fit them well also. If one assumes this is accurate, then I would rule out the personality type connection to psi on the basis of the differences between me and Arouet on that subject.
                            You might be able to rule it out as an absolute, but I doubt the rule would be absolute anyway.

~~ Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paqart View Post

AP
                              In a way it makes sense.. when you look at anyone xNFx they are iNtuitive and Feeling in their personality... the traits you need for both being psychic and understanding it.

When you are xSTx you are Sensing and Thinking... probably the 2 traits that most stop you from using your Psychic ability and understanding it.

PS: Sensing in the MBTI is not the sensing you would expect. According to the description it is:

"Sensing types are often good at seeing the practical applications of ideas and things, and may learn best when they can first see the pragmatic side of what is being taught. For sensing types, experience speaks louder than words or theory"

You can see why xSTx people struggle with PSI. Their brains are not wired to understand it. Interesting that we have a few skeptics on the board here who are xNTx which shows why they are here but on that side of the fence. Their Intuitive side is cancelled out by their Thinking side.

I suspect most of the rabid skeptics on a Randi Forum for instance would be xSTx where on here they are xNTx as they are more conflicted than closed minded.
                              Last edited by Frankmat; August 1st, 2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Oh, I'm quite rational and analytical.

Originally posted by Frankmat View Post
                                You can see why xSTx people struggle with PSI. Their brains are not wired to understand it. Interesting that we have a few skeptics on the board here who are xNTx which shows why they are here but on that side of the fence. Their Intuitive side is cancelled out by their Thinking side.

I suspect most of the rabid skeptics on a Randi Forum for instance would be xSTx where on here they are xNTx as they are more conflicted than closed minded.
                                I'm ST and I am convinced that psi exists, but it seems that I have not any psi experience. If I believe in the existence of psi, is because of the literature I have read.

Comment

Working...
                                X