Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it would make sense. Its probably why I have ( had ) such a problem accepting evidence for psi or the afterlife.

Comment

• I've got NF, but it's INFP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Weiler View Post
        Another one???? We have quite the collection of INFJ's on this site. There are more here than on the INFJ forum!

And yes, all of us have that same feeling of being different, but not really understanding why. It goes with the territory.
        I too am INFJ and have been with multiple retests over the last decade. Maybe "we" are not rare at all, but the test/constructs have been devised so as to make us feel special.

Comment

• Originally posted by tempel View Post
          I too am INFJ and have been with multiple retests over the last decade. Maybe "we" are not rare at all, but the test/constructs have been devised so as to make us feel special.
          Special? More like chronically misunderstood. The far more likely answer is that this forum, which provides a very rare rational, scientific and straightforward look at psi is just a a really strong magnet for our personality type. We have the spirituality, but we're also very strong in the no bullsh*t zone.

Comment

Special? More like chronically misunderstood. The far more likely answer is that this forum, which provides a very rare rational, scientific and straightforward look at psi is just a a really strong magnet for our personality type. We have the spirituality, but we're also very strong in the no bullsh*t zone.
            Amen

Comment

Special? More like chronically misunderstood.
              So you think being chronically misunderstood is a property or trait of personality? Don't you think everyone is "chronically misunderstood," in a way? Isn't being understood a function of communication, rather than some intrinsic property or personality trait?

Comment

• Originally posted by tempel View Post
                So you think being chronically misunderstood is a property or trait of personality? Don't you think everyone is "chronically misunderstood," in a way? Isn't being understood a function of communication, rather than some intrinsic property or personality trait?
                Good questions. Being chronically misunderstood can be a result of poor communication skills, but it can also be because a person's overall perception and take on things is simply much different. INFJ's because of their natural ability to see things in depth and make sense of them, are going to have a perspective unfamiliar to most people. So their they are likely to be misunderstood as a result.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philemon View Post
                  I listened to this interview with Julie Beischel that was posted over at the Daily Grail today.

Beischel discusses more research about the MBTI personality types and psi. According to her:
                  16% of the general population is NF.
                  85% of mediums are NF.

You can hear more around the 18 minute mark.
                  Very interesting... hadn't realised someone had done studies on it but it was as I suspected.. that most Mediums would be "NF's".

I personally think the reason for that is that those personality traits would help you open up to the possibility of acknowledging that you are recieving messages in the first place. Where a "Sensing Thinker" is more likely to just ignore whenever they 'hear' something... an "iNtuitive Feeler" is likely to go "Ooo what was that" and be more inquisitive about it.

Comment

Good questions. Being chronically misunderstood can be a result of poor communication skills, but it can also be because a person's overall perception and take on things is simply much different. INFJ's because of their natural ability to see things in depth and make sense of them, are going to have a perspective unfamiliar to most people. So their they are likely to be misunderstood as a result.
                    More likely, perhaps—but only due to the relatively greater difficulty of communicating one's ideas. Though I personally have not had that experience, at least not to a degree I would identify as typifying. I'd say the obstacle is not the nature of our perceptions, but the hardheadedness of some people who generally lack what it takes to listen and understand!

Comment

Working...
                    X