Announcement

Collapse

Skeptiko forums moved

The official forums of the Skeptiko podcast have moved to http://skeptiko.com/forum/.
As such, these forums are now closed for posting.
See more
See less

What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philemon
    started a poll What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

What's Your Type?: Personality & Paranormal Experience

ST
    8.33%
    SF
    0.00%
    NF
    60.42%
    NT
    31.25%
    In Dean Radin's "Supernormal" Dean discusses the influence of personality on psi experiences. The discussion begins on page 88.

There, he references 4 different sources while discussing this, a main one being Dianne Arcangel's Afterlife Encounters: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Experiences.

Apparently, Arcangel (is this really her real name?) did some research which found that 96% of people with NF personality types experienced some form of afterdeath communication when loved ones passed away whereas 100% of ST personality types did not.

These personality types come from the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator which was based upon Carl Jung's writings on personality.

Dean makes some interesting points about personality and states that ST personality types make up nearly everyone working in "big business" whereas NF types are the sorts who are drawn to "spiritual" pursuits and reflection. According to Radin, this is why money is hardly ever set aside for psi-research - the people interested in it don't have any power.

I'm an INFP. I've taken the MBTI multiple times since 1997 and have consistently been an INFP. I'm wondering what personalities we have here on the forum and am figuring the great bulk of us are probably NF's - if Radin's speculation proves true.

Here's a link to a site where you can test yourself: Myers-Briggs (Personality) Type Indicator (MBTI) EDIT: ALERT!! We are looking at the TWO MIDDLE letters of your MBTI personality type. For example, if you are an INTJ then vote NT. If you are an ENFP then vote NF.
    Last edited by Philemon; July 30th, 2013, 09:05 PM.

• tempel
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig Weiler View Post
    Good questions. Being chronically misunderstood can be a result of poor communication skills, but it can also be because a person's overall perception and take on things is simply much different. INFJ's because of their natural ability to see things in depth and make sense of them, are going to have a perspective unfamiliar to most people. So their they are likely to be misunderstood as a result.
    More likely, perhaps—but only due to the relatively greater difficulty of communicating one's ideas. Though I personally have not had that experience, at least not to a degree I would identify as typifying. I'd say the obstacle is not the nature of our perceptions, but the hardheadedness of some people who generally lack what it takes to listen and understand!

Leave a comment:

• Frankmat
    replied
    Originally posted by Philemon View Post
    I listened to this interview with Julie Beischel that was posted over at the Daily Grail today.

Beischel discusses more research about the MBTI personality types and psi. According to her:
    16% of the general population is NF.
    85% of mediums are NF.

You can hear more around the 18 minute mark.
    Very interesting... hadn't realised someone had done studies on it but it was as I suspected.. that most Mediums would be "NF's".

I personally think the reason for that is that those personality traits would help you open up to the possibility of acknowledging that you are recieving messages in the first place. Where a "Sensing Thinker" is more likely to just ignore whenever they 'hear' something... an "iNtuitive Feeler" is likely to go "Ooo what was that" and be more inquisitive about it.

Leave a comment:

• Craig Weiler
    replied
    Originally posted by tempel View Post
    So you think being chronically misunderstood is a property or trait of personality? Don't you think everyone is "chronically misunderstood," in a way? Isn't being understood a function of communication, rather than some intrinsic property or personality trait?
    Good questions. Being chronically misunderstood can be a result of poor communication skills, but it can also be because a person's overall perception and take on things is simply much different. INFJ's because of their natural ability to see things in depth and make sense of them, are going to have a perspective unfamiliar to most people. So their they are likely to be misunderstood as a result.

Leave a comment:

• tempel
    replied
    Special? More like chronically misunderstood.
    So you think being chronically misunderstood is a property or trait of personality? Don't you think everyone is "chronically misunderstood," in a way? Isn't being understood a function of communication, rather than some intrinsic property or personality trait?

Leave a comment:

• Bucky
    replied
    Special? More like chronically misunderstood. The far more likely answer is that this forum, which provides a very rare rational, scientific and straightforward look at psi is just a a really strong magnet for our personality type. We have the spirituality, but we're also very strong in the no bullsh*t zone.
    Amen

Leave a comment:

• Craig Weiler
    replied
    Originally posted by tempel View Post
    I too am INFJ and have been with multiple retests over the last decade. Maybe "we" are not rare at all, but the test/constructs have been devised so as to make us feel special.
    Special? More like chronically misunderstood. The far more likely answer is that this forum, which provides a very rare rational, scientific and straightforward look at psi is just a a really strong magnet for our personality type. We have the spirituality, but we're also very strong in the no bullsh*t zone.

Leave a comment:

• tempel
    replied
    Another one???? We have quite the collection of INFJ's on this site. There are more here than on the INFJ forum!

And yes, all of us have that same feeling of being different, but not really understanding why. It goes with the territory.
    I too am INFJ and have been with multiple retests over the last decade. Maybe "we" are not rare at all, but the test/constructs have been devised so as to make us feel special.

Leave a comment:

• Fox
    replied
    I've got NF, but it's INFP.

Leave a comment:

• Iyace
    replied
    Well, it would make sense. Its probably why I have ( had ) such a problem accepting evidence for psi or the afterlife.

Leave a comment:

• Craig Weiler
    replied
    Originally posted by Trancestate View Post
    Don't feel bad. One of the criticisms of the MBTI is its apparent low test-retest reliability. About 50% of those who take the test score differently in one or more of the four categories when taking the test a second time weeks or months later. I've done so myself, getting INFP about a third of the time, compared to my "normal" INFJ classification.

You can read more about the test's shortcomings here:

Measuring the MBTI...
    And Coming Up Short

Doug
    I've always tested as an INFJ. It's never changed. But that complaint is common. The MBTI functions best, I think, as a social tool, not a personal one.

Leave a comment:

• Trancestate
    replied
    Originally posted by Iyace View Post
    Estp. Now I feel bad about myself.
    Don't feel bad. One of the criticisms of the MBTI is its apparent low test-retest reliability. About 50% of those who take the test score differently in one or more of the four categories when taking the test a second time weeks or months later. I've done so myself, getting INFP about a third of the time, compared to my "normal" INFJ classification.

You can read more about the test's shortcomings here:

Measuring the MBTI...
    And Coming Up Short

Doug
    Last edited by Trancestate; August 21st, 2013, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Iyace
    replied
    Estp. Now I feel bad about myself.

Leave a comment:

• Pollux
    replied
    Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator is: ENTJ, the “Chief”

Extroversion: 80%
    iNtutitive: 55%
    Thinking: 80%
    Judging: 70%

Geezus, a whole science behind this. Almost like a elaborated horoscope.
    I feel though that a few things in the ENTJ-description does not fit me really.

As an ENTJ, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you deal with things rationally and logically. Your secondary mode is internal, where you take things in primarily via your intuition.

ENTJs are natural born leaders. They live in a world of possibilities where they see all sorts challenges to be surmounted, and they want to be the ones responsible for surmounting them. They have a drive for leadership, which is well-served by their quickness to grasp complexities, their ability to absorb a large amount of impersonal information, and their quick and decisive judgments. They are "take charge" people.

ENTJs are very career-focused, and fit into the corporate world quite naturally. They are constantly scanning their environment for potential problems which they can turn into solutions. They generally see things from a long-range perspective, and are usually successful at identifying plans to turn problems around - especially problems of a corporate nature. ENTJs are usually successful in the business world, because they are so driven to leadership. They're tireless in their efforts on the job, and driven to visualize where an organization is headed. For these reasons, they are natural corporate leaders.

There is not much room for error in the world of the ENTJ. They dislike to see mistakes repeated, and have no patience with inefficiency. They may become quite harsh when their patience is tried in these respects, because they are not naturally tuned in to people's feelings, and more than likely don't believe that they should tailor their judgments in consideration for people's feelings. ENTJs, like many types, have difficulty seeing things from outside their own perspective. Unlike other types, ENTJs naturally have little patience with people who do not see things the same way as the ENTJ. The ENTJ needs to consciously work on recognizing the value of other people's opinions, as well as the value of being sensitive towards people's feelings. In the absence of this awareness, the ENTJ will be a forceful, intimidating and overbearing individual. This may be a real problem for the ENTJ, who may be deprived of important information and collaboration from others. In their personal world, it can make some ENTJs overbearing as spouses or parents.

The ENTJ has a tremendous amount of personal power and presence which will work for them as a force towards achieving their goals. However, this personal power is also an agent of alienation and self-aggrandizement, which the ENTJ would do well to avoid.

ENTJs are very forceful, decisive individuals. They make decisions quickly, and are quick to verbalize their opinions and decisions to the rest of the world. The ENTJ who has not developed their Intuition will make decisions too hastily, without understanding all of the issues and possible solutions. On the other hand, an ENTJ who has not developed their Thinking side will have difficulty applying logic to their insights, and will often make poor decisions. In that case, they may have brilliant ideas and insight into situations, but they may have little skill at determining how to act upon their understanding, or their actions may be inconsistent. An ENTJ who has developed in a generally less than ideal way may become dictatorial and abrasive - intrusively giving orders and direction without a sound reason for doing so, and without consideration for the people involved.

Although ENTJs are not naturally tuned into other people's feelings, these individuals frequently have very strong sentimental streaks. Often these sentiments are very powerful to the ENTJ, although they will likely hide it from general knowledge, believing the feelings to be a weakness. Because the world of feelings and values is not where the ENTJ naturally functions, they may sometimes make value judgments and hold onto submerged emotions which are ill-founded and inappropriate, and will cause them problems - sometimes rather serious problems.

ENTJs love to interact with people. As Extroverts, they're energized and stimulated primarily externally. There's nothing more enjoyable and satisfying to the ENTJ than having a lively, challenging conversation. They especially respect people who are able to stand up to the ENTJ, and argue persuasively for their point of view. There aren't too many people who will do so, however, because the ENTJ is a very forceful and dynamic presence who has a tremendous amount of self-confidence and excellent verbal communication skills. Even the most confident individuals may experience moments of self-doubt when debating a point with an ENTJ.

ENTJs want their home to be beautiful, well-furnished, and efficiently run. They're likely to place much emphasis on their children being well-educated and structured, to desire a congenial and devoted relationship with their spouse. At home, the ENTJ needs to be in charge as much as he or she does in their career. The ENTJ is likely best paired with someone who has a strong self-image, who is also a Thinking type. Because the ENTJ is primarily focused on their careers, some ENTJs have a problem with being constantly absent from home, physically or mentally.

The ENTJ has many gifts which make it possible for them to have a great deal of personal power, if they don't forget to remain balanced in their lives. They are assertive, innovative, long-range thinkers with an excellent ability to translate theories and possibilities into solid plans of action. They are usually tremendously forceful personalities, and have the tools to accomplish whatever goals they set out for.

Leave a comment:

• Philemon
    replied
    85% of Mediums are NF

I listened to this interview with Julie Beischel that was posted over at the Daily Grail today.

Beischel discusses more research about the MBTI personality types and psi. According to her:
    16% of the general population is NF.
    85% of mediums are NF.

You can hear more around the 18 minute mark.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X